Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm COAL question

wk5h

I got a box of Zero 124gr FMJ the other day, and was following some load data from both Hornady and Hodgdon. Both listed a COAL of 1.150. Out of curiosity, I took a fired case, crimped the next just enough to hold the bullet, and pushed it all the way into my H&K VP9's barrel, carefully pulled it out, and got a measurement of 1.146". I repeated this several times, and every time came up with 1.146" for an OAL.

I've seen data say to load all the way to SAAMI max of 1.169, but even loading at 1.150 on my VP9, that's placing the bullet in the rifling? What am I missing here?

I got a box of Zero 124gr FMJ the other day, and was following some load data from both Hornady and Hodgdon. Both listed a COAL of 1.150. Out of curiosity, I took a fired case, crimped the next just enough to hold the bullet, and pushed it all the way into my H&K VP9's barrel, carefully pulled it out, and got a measurement of 1.146". I repeated this several times, and every time came up with 1.146" for an OAL.

I've seen data say to load all the way to SAAMI max of 1.169, but even loading at 1.150 on my VP9, that's placing the bullet in the rifling? What am I missing here?

Hodgdon and Hornady both list the Zero 124g FMJ specifically? I doubt it. And one 124g FMJ does not necessarily have the same profile as another 124g FMJ. Furthermore, your VP9 chamber isn't the same as all other 9mm chambers. As you have found, you have to load them shorter than the "standard" that Hodgdon and Hornady determined using whatever 124g FMJ in whatever chamber.

Not every gun has the same length chamber. That's the max for your specific gun. I'd load a few thousands shorter than 1.146 to be safe and call it good. That's not a short load by any means, will work fine. If you're using data for a longer coal just start on the low side.

Hodgdon and Hornady both list the Zero 124g FMJ specifically? I doubt it. And one 124g FMJ does not necessarily have the same profile as another 124g FMJ. Furthermore, your VP9 chamber isn't the same as all other 9mm chambers. As you have found, you have to load them shorter than the "standard" that Hodgdon and Hornady determined using whatever 124g FMJ in whatever chamber.

Good Info here.

You'll find reloading is a whole hobby all by itself, especially rifle if you get to that. For specific bullets the best thing to do is go to the manufacturers website and find their oal data. Like the guys have said above, it may not work for your specific pistols' chamber but it may give you a better idea if zero says their oal should be 1.140.

I'm not stating this as a fact, just that you should check it out

Edited by dossauce

You might be surprised how different shapes of the same weight RN bullets vary in configuration, and therefore in optimum COAL. And then, as already mentioned, how variance is found in firearm chambers, regardless of caliber.

That's why reloading can become "handloading", when the operator can tailor specific handloads to their particular firearm. Time consuming, but worth the effort if one has the time!

Wk5h - welcome to BE, and reloading. :cheers:

If you have 10 minutes, you might want to click

on "FORUMS" (top left of your screen), and then

on "Reloading" and then "9mm".

Spend 10 minutes reading some postings for the

past year or so re: reloading 9mm.

It's not difficult, but there are some nice time savers

for you in those posts.

Good luck with your reloading. :cheers:

Depending on the threads he reads 10 minutes would actually yield too much information for a new loader! lol

I consider published load data only a very very basic starting point. All bullets are different, cases are different , powder can vary A LOT from lot to lot, and of course all barrels are different.

A chrono is your best good friend for a new reloader (or an old one for that matter). Everything else is just guessing till you know what a certain combo does in your gun.

I got my 1st 1911 in 9mm a few days ago and my go to 147 grain load doesn't fully chamber. I get to start all over finding a load it likes. That's the fun part.

A chrono is your best good friend for a new reloader (or an old one for that matter). Everything else is just guessing till you know what a certain combo does in your gun.

I got my 1st 1911 in 9mm a few days ago and my go to 147 grain load doesn't fully chamber. I get to start all over finding a load it likes. That's the fun part.

When you get this for a 147gr 9mm load, the power may (possibly) be too low.

20150514_144707_zps4m67at62.jpg

I caught a short drop of ETR7 and wanted to see what the result would be. Knowing it might squib in advance. Measured the powder at 0.9gr on a 3.2gr target(yikes).

Shot it and it just sort of did the cap gun sound and I removed the barrel to push out the bullet... but no bullet. Looked at the chrono and saw that 56 fps. LOL.

I always wondered what velocity I'd get with 0.9 grains. :devil:

That's why I try to keep it at least 1.0 grains. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Good thing you caught the light powder charge. :bow: :bow:

Also a good thing to aim high on the chrono with a mouse fart like that!

True, but at that speed, it might just bounce off or knock it over. :goof:

I always wondered what velocity I'd get with 0.9 grains. [emoji317]

Good thing you caught the light powder charge. [emoji144] [emoji144]

I think I could throw the lead faster than 56fps. I think the chrono could probably take that round dead center and not flinch.

I "did the math" and figured the bullet hit the ground about 30' out and 90' short of the target! That's why we look into the cases before seating the bullet!

Yes, if you don't currently have an InLine Fabrication fiber optic light

for your reloader ($20, shipped), you are risking your life to a squib. :ph34r:

I have an led work light. And for my press, inline list at $39