Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone take the top of the backstrap of the large grip insert?

Nemesis Lead

I find that I really like the large grip insert on the M & P. The palm swells feel great in the hand. The only issue is.......the very top of the backstrap makes is much harder to get my thumb on the magazine release without shifting my grip.

A question for you guys:

1) Has anyone take the TOP of the backstrap off the large grip insert? Are there any practical issues with this?

2) Before I break out my dremel tool......is this production legal?

Many thanks!

Edited by Nemesis Lead

APP D4, Rule 21.4 outlines what is allowed for Production Division grips. Cutting down the backstrap would alter the profile and is not specifically allowed, so it is illegal for production.

Aside from that, if you wanted to use it for Limited, you can alter the grip that way, just make sure you don't accidentally cut of the tab that goes into the frame to hold it on.

Seems like a gray area. I am cutting on the grip INSERT, not the actual backstrap.

It is akin to cutting on a regular grip panel on a 1911 (like when guys cut a groove into their grip for to facilitate dropping a magazine).

But.... 1911s are not Production guns, so not the best analogy.

If it was aftermarket grips, I'd say good to go. Cutting the stock grip insert.... probably not. Maybe if you could buy an aftermarket "grip insert"..... already altered. Is THAT legal? You can put whatever kind of grips you want on a Shadow, why not a custom insert on other guns?

I would assume....

There's your problem.

You cannot change the profile in Production division. It's not a grey area. You cannot cut down or add to the profile. The grip backstraps come from the factory and are part of the firearm, regardless of which one you use. You cannot alter the profile of the grip or any of the backstraps in Production division. Is it not specifically allowed, therefore it is illegal.

Edited by PKT1106

Like that thought, Stealthy. Any particular brand that is fairly thick?

Nope - try the local skate shops. You are also allowed to use glue-and-grit, which will definitely add thickness. You are not supposed to be "changing the profile", but as long as you apply in the allowed areas of the grip, who is to say what your intent is?