Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's typical ceiling damage from a daisy chain primer detonation

it inbedded the plastic rod in the drywall ceiling along with some primers, but none went thru, and the ceiling was only a few feet above the press. Did it with Winchester SPM and a 1050. Lesson learned was not to force a jam with more force .... go figure

The first time it happened it knocked some or the "popcorn" stuff off the drywall ceiling. My second occurrence the rod went up through the drop ceiling tile and slightly dented the 3/4 inch plywood sub floor. It is amazing how the plastic rod bent without breaking. I hung the bent rod right at eye level over my bench to remind myself to be smooth and don't force it.

i have a small divot about 2" long and not even the depth equal to the thickness of the rod. I blew almost an entire stack and that was all the ceiling damage, a mere scratch.

my rod was in three pieces and one of the sections all curled up like a pig tail.

Edited by rowdyb

I had this happen with my 650. (Yes I did something dumb) Primers daisy chained around the plate and up the tube which was 1/2 full.

Everything worked as it should to protect me from any physical damage apart from my ear ringing and a fresh pair of soiled under wear.

I found the plastic rod a couple of days later bent like a pretzel in the far corner of the garage after I had given up on looking for it.

No damage was done to the roof.

How many people sort out their mil crimp, VS just pushing through? Is it the mil crimp that causes this or is it an old primer that wasn't removed and trying to put a new primer in its place?

Can't say for all loaders but on my 650 if an old primer was not removed properly the new primer is not set and it drops out into a little cup deal. The priming pin itself is spring loaded so it has give if it encounters an unremoved primer.

Can't say for all loaders but on my 650 if an old primer was not removed properly the new primer is not set and it drops out into a little cup deal. The priming pin itself is spring loaded so it has give if it encounters an unremoved primer.

I don't think you truly understand how the priming works on a 650. The only thing stopping you from forcing a primer into an already primed case is the amount of pressure you apply to the handle and the fact that two primers can't occupy the same space unless crushed.

You're right I did not understand it and still may not fully. I see the spring on the priming pin is to get it to retract not to load the pin when it sets the primer.

That said mine does not mash a new primer on top of an unremoved primer. As stated if a primer is not removed by the sizing die then the primer pin pushes a new primer up against the old primer. After the handle is completely forward the new unseated primer drops out and ends up in the cup, Unsmashed and still usable. YMMV

You're right I did not understand it and still may not fully. I see the spring on the priming pin is to get it to retract not to load the pin when it sets the primer.

That said mine does not mash a new primer on top of an unremoved primer. As stated if a primer is not removed by the sizing die then the primer pin pushes a new primer up against the old primer. After the handle is completely forward the new unseated primer drops out and ends up in the cup, Unsmashed and still usable. YMMV

The new primer doesn't mash the old primer because you stop pushing on the handle (which is good). The spring is there to help push the platform back towards the neutral setting.

I don't stop pushing the arm forward and I push it hard

Really? So how does the handle return if you don't stop pushing it? :goof:

Push hard enough and bad things can happen.