Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championships

MarkCO

No shows, DQs, DNFs are the 30 or so without a match score.

They are working on getting the Categories on the webpage, but there will not be a pistol/rifle breakdown. Stages 1-7 were rifle and 8-14 were pistol.

Match was great fun! Took my grandson to his first match ever and he had a blast, why not make his first match Rimfire Worlds :) right?

Old Fort is a very nice range and does a great job hosting this event, they get my vote to bring it back in 2016.

My $.02 about the match. Both good and bad.

The Old Fort Gun Club was an outstanding venue for the match. In addition, the RO staff from the OFGC were some of the nicest RO's I have had the pleasure to shoot with.

I am aware of only one major incident involving a call made by an RO that was an issue. A shooter was allowed a reshoot on a stage due to gun malfunctions. Unfortunately when the match director was notified, the times from the runs where the shooter experienced malfunctions were wiped out and the MD had to let the new times stand. That's one of the problems with electronic scoring with no paper back up I guess. It should have been conveyed in the RO briefing that when a shooter presents the gun to the first target, they own the run no matter what the results might be.

The courses of fire were challenging although could have been a little less one dimensional. 96 targets with 95 of them 48" tall.

Last year's rule against coaching of shooters was again in effect. I am having a hard time with the idea that a parent can't give their young child advice between strings of fire. I fully agree with not allowing coaching during the string of fire but to not be able to tell a young or new shooter to relax or to tell them to check their chamber makes no sense to me.

Good awards ceremony and good prize table although I saw several valued at over $300.00. Maybe that requirement that prizes be limited to the $300.00 maximum was scraped. If so, good call. I thought at the time that it didn't make much sense to tell a company no that wants to donate a prize over $300.00.

All in all, one of the better Rimfire World Championship matches I have attended.

On another note, an incident at a side match caused me some concern. A shooter had an AD while unloading and was allowed to continue into the shootoff portion of the side event. Now, earlier that day a young shooter was properly DQed from the main event for an AD while reloading. I know the NSSF staff was not in charge of the side event and the side event was not sanctioned as part of the championship match. It just makes it hard to justify to the young shooter that his AD was bad and the other AD isn't.

Edited by Dwight Stearns

I am aware of only one major incident involving a call made by an RO that was an issue. A shooter was allowed a reshoot on a stage due to gun malfunctions. Unfortunately when the match director was notified, the times from the runs where the shooter experienced malfunctions were wiped out and the MD had to let the new times stand. That's one of the problems with electronic scoring with no paper back up I guess. It should have been conveyed in the RO briefing that when a shooter presents the gun to the first target, they own the run no matter what the results might be.

The match was scored on iPads so there should be a score history available. I'll double check tonight but I'm 99.9% sure if you revise a score, after saving it, PractiScore generates a score history entry.

The match was scored on iPads so there should be a score history available. I'll double check tonight but I'm 99.9% sure if you revise a score, after saving it, PractiScore generates a score history entry.

There is. I'll just cut this off by saying that it had nothing at all to do with the scoring process. A string reshoot was issued and no time was ever entered. The RO made a mistake and as soon as I heard about it, I talked to the RO and re-iterated what was said in the staff brief. "Once a start signal is given, a score must be entered unless a target is not available for the competitor to shoot." If I had pulled the RO aside, then the 15 competitors standing around likely never would have heard about it and no-one would be calling it a "major incident". Do mistakes get made. At times yes. But this does serve to reinforce that match staff needs to read the rules and other matches need to reinforce that regardless of what you think of a rule, you follow the rulebook to the letter as that is the only way to provide the best possible fairness to the competitors.

While the RO made a mistake, the competitor and several others present knew it was wrong and did not say anything. That is not meant to dump on anyone, but to emphasize that if you know there is an error, speak up. The error could easily have been fixed prior several ways if someone would have spoken up.

Also, the alleged AD in the side match. The competitor and RO both stated to me that the round did not clear with the extractor and the competitor cleared the round by shooting it out. Inconsistent reports have been provided, which is of concern and we will address that. Regardless, a proper explanation to the young shooter should be that he broke a safety rule. Giving passes to a person because someone perceives someone else got away with something is absolutely wrong. Do people sometimes get away with things that are wrong? Yes, but they are still wrong and two wrongs never make a right.

I hope that clears up the mistake Dwight made in his post. No better or no worse than the mistake made by the RO by allowing a reshoot.

Edited by MarkCO

The courses of fire were challenging although could have been a little less one dimensional. 96 targets with 95 of them 48" tall.

It was a fun match. I'd be back next year if it was held at Old Fort again but the courses of fire were disappointing. Almost all shot just like a plate rack with a stop plate thrown in.