Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP PSC-11 upper

soundlzrd

Thanks to Brian and the rest of you on this forum, I now reload. I also have of found that because I reload I shoot a lot more, especially 9mm. This has lead me to look at ordering a GMR-13 within the next month. I had decided to get the basic model until I realized it didn't have BHO. While I have no plans to shoot three gun, I do have a friend that has started in it locally, and if I could shoot 9mm I might be able to afford it.

I have a jp-15 so I know JP are well built. What I can't decide is if I he hold sell another gun and pay the additional 500 for the PSC-11 upper. This gun will mainly be used for indoor training because 223 is no fun inside for long IMO and 9mm is cheaper. I also plan to run the gun suppressed frequently. What do you all recommend?

Thanks

Sean

Given that you have a jp15 with what I assume is a std upper, I would think the gmr in the std upper makes the most sense training-wise. Keep all the same controls.

My gmr is a std for that very reason.

I can't see a benefit for a side charge, unless it's a gun you shoot prone/bench a lot. It is however super cool and from the ones I've felt feel fantastic, so there is that. If it were free I would take it every time, though.

Thank you. I have not felt one, which has added to my over thinking of this issue. I am toying with the idea of selling yet another gun for the GMR to get the side charger. My JP15 is a standard upper, but most mag changes I used the bolt release.

Do you find lack of BHO to be an issue or am I just over thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got nothing but love for JP products, but when I made my GMR configurations in their Rifle Builder system, I decided against the $500 side charger "tax." If I had a SCR-11 or LRP-07 then I seriously would consider it for the "common handling and use" reason previously given. I am a strong proponent of that. That is the reason why I compete with the same brand of pistols that I use for defense and concealed carry.

Given what has been told to me, I recommend you research the long-term reliability of the bolt hold open lowers on the market. This may explain what JP decided against offering the feature?

I've used mine in a match ad ran it dry on one stage over shooting some paper. Aim, click, WTF?, crap, change mag, rack it, aim, shoot. How much time would a BHO have saved? How much time would a side charger saved? I know I didn't wish for either when that happened.

I think rarely do you have to opportunity to run the rifle dry and then reload. Even on longer stages with enough rounds to require a reload, you probably changed out the mag somewhere where you intended vs running it dry and then reloading.

Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I'll keep my pistol and order without at this point. Two votes against.

I am not worried that it doesn't have BHO, just wondered if racking the charging handle would get old.

Ropsitos

Thanks for sharing that. I guess I'll keep the glock and get the standard upper.

I really appreciate the feedback guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't shoot to empty. I think that has been the recommendation others have made about these systems.

I've been considering doing MGM Ironman next year in Trooper Division. That's the primary reason I've been looking at pistol caliber platforms.

Sanity will eventually resurface and I'll stick with 'just' doing Ironman in Open next year.

My LAR side charge holds the bolt open when the mag runs dry. Sure the Crosshill does also. With them you don't have the release feature as it's cut off so the bolt handle doesn't hit you (on the left hand ones).

P1000274_zps401f0e6e.jpg

When I was looking into ordering a GMR, I asked someone at JP if they would build me one with a CTR upper so I could get the look of a billet upper without the dust cover. He said it wouldn't be a problem and would only be a $200 upcharge instead of the $500 for the PSC

Archived