Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to incorporate a shotgun door breach into our next match. I did a search on the subject, and found some good pictures, but the thread also had some missing pictures from 5 years ago. Has anybody done this with good success?

I attached the picture of the one I found. Just looking to see if anybody has improvements over this design.

post-40587-0-54014400-1431481719_thumb.j

That is an R&R Targets breach door. Looks like the picture is of Robert J. From a match at Albany, OR. I have shot and used those doors at numerous matches and they work great!

Doug

MGM targets makes one that's pretty spendy. R&R targets has a more budget minded option. There was one in use at the 3GN Western regional in St George this year, and also one at last years NW Multigun. Just a basic steel door frame that used standard target stand sticks for the part you "breach". Here's a random video from the 2015 western regional that shows the door.

Edited by fishsticks

We made a hefty one from steel tubing, with a clay pigeon as the "lock". It is spring-loaded so breaking the clay caused the door to swing open. Here is a video courtesy of Gose (door at ~38 seconds):

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a match where they used a plywood door with a bracket to hold the target stick "lock" and the door frame was made from a 2x4 with a hole for the stick drilled through . It was cheap to construct and if the shooter missed and shot the frame, there wasn't a bunch of lead flying back from a steel frame. If I recall correctly, there were about 200 people in the match and the door worked for the entire match.

Hurley

We had one at the Missouri 3-Gun Championship. It was constructed as HRider described. Had really good luck until a shooter purposely center punched the door blowing the back supports off. A few 2x4s and some screws and we were back in business. We elected to stay away from the steel frame for safety reasons.

The first photo in this thread, sans the N/S is essentially what we have done for 15 years. We also attach a weight and a cord tot he door so that once the 'latch' is blown, the door swings fully open reducing the chances of the shooter snagging gear when passing through. We have also used this to active additional targets so that once the door is breached, a mover activates. Usually we will use an out-n-back that disappears so that you have to be quick.

Make them stand close to the door, more fun to watch people take three shots to break a 1 x 2! We have a record of 4 shots fired to cut the stick as well as the opposite, one shot. most take two.

Jim