Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What did you do today to further your 3-Gunning?

Thread drift- I am an anesthesiologist, work some days at an orthopaedic outpatient surgery center, where carpal tunnel releases are a 10 minute OR procedure, usually done with an upper extremity nerve block.

Piece of cake for most patients, many of whom return to have the other wrist done.

If you need it done, go to someone who does a lot, with good results, ask for a supraclavicular nerve block :)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Set a goal of hitting 30 consecutive 8 shell quad loads shoulder to shoulder under a 3.6 second par time with no warm up loading. Made 28, one fumbled and one just a bit sluggish. Switched to loading while fast walking with a 20' walking window. Then spent 20 minutes on pistol draws and reloads with a focus on re acquiring a strong grip after each mag change, I've noticed in matches that halfway through stages my usual gorilla grip dissipates to a dead fish grip and all of the sudden my sights are rising way higher than I like.

Then I cleaned the toilets, because when the wife is happy she takes less notice of my shooting related embezzling.

• 2 weeks later...

After hearing about the Scrambler drill on here I had to try it. I did it 4x with rifle, pistol and shotgun on an 8" plate. Pistol started hot/holstered, shotgun empty and low ready, both at 20yds. Rifle hot and low ready at 50yds. I put particular focus on keeping the gun(s) up and pointed near the target when possible while moving because a shooter better than myself told me at my last match that I drop the gun down while moving then waste a lot of time finding it again at my next position. Watching my match vids proved his point. I feel the Scrambler encompasses a ton of important skills in one drill and I plan on doing it a lot more in the future, with different distances and some paper targets thrown in to work on splits and shot calling. Then I made up a drill where I start with the rifle low ready, run 15yds to my 3GN barricade and engage 3 clays at 150yds. I focused on getting into the reverse kneeling position quickly. I'm a firm believer that taking an extra second to gain a solid position on hard targets is better than a hasty position followed by spraying, but I still want to get the solid position quicker. Next time I'll do 2 clays on the right side of the barricade then jump to the other side and shoot 2 left handed. Then I tried Pat Kelley's "The Sweep" drill with shotgun. I found it interesting and will shoot it occasionally but it's not nearly as all inclusive of a drill as the Scrambler. Then I got a shower, as I was soaked by this point.

After hearing about the Scrambler drill on here I had to try it. I did it 4x with rifle, pistol and shotgun on an 8" plate. Pistol started hot/holstered, shotgun empty and low ready, both at 20yds. Rifle hot and low ready at 50yds. I put particular focus on keeping the gun(s) up and pointed near the target when possible while moving because a shooter better than myself told me at my last match that I drop the gun down while moving then waste a lot of time finding it again at my next position. Watching my match vids proved his point. I feel the Scrambler encompasses a ton of important skills in one drill and I plan on doing it a lot more in the future, with different distances and some paper targets thrown in to work on splits and shot calling. Then I made up a drill where I start with the rifle low ready, run 15yds to my 3GN barricade and engage 3 clays at 150yds. I focused on getting into the reverse kneeling position quickly. I'm a firm believer that taking an extra second to gain a solid position on hard targets is better than a hasty position followed by spraying, but I still want to get the solid position quicker. Next time I'll do 2 clays on the right side of the barricade then jump to the other side and shoot 2 left handed. Then I tried Pat Kelley's "The Sweep" drill with shotgun. I found it interesting and will shoot it occasionally but it's not nearly as all inclusive of a drill as the Scrambler. Then I got a shower, as I was soaked by this point.[/quote

Could you post a link to this drill?

I reconfirmed the NV sight zero on my 458 Socom's EoTech, and its I.R laser zero at 100 yrds. Time to make bacon! I know it is on because I made a Racoon

very sleepy at 43 paces. Got to love the good old N.O.D.s. I figure if you can do a snap shot with N.O.D.s on, day light with a light recoiling poodle shooter ain't nothing. :lol:

Edited by kurtm

I rebuilt my plate rack. It was falling apart after somewhere north of 10k rounds thrown at it. Last time I ever use wood when fabricating something I'm going to shoot at. The plates actually leaned far enough forward that a factory 115gr 9mm load wouldn't tip them if shot in the lower half at 8yds. Then I practiced shooting it offhand at 50yds with rifle, 25yds with pistol and close, fast and dirty with the old shot catapult.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Over the weekend I placed 2nd in Factory division at 3GN Eastern Regional at Peacemaker and got some good videos while there. Today I finished reviewing those videos and made my training to do list so I know what to focus on before my next major (which is FNH in September)

My daughter and I shot 5 pigs under night vision and I.R. laser with suppressors.Transition drills under "green light" !!! 458 SOCOM for me and a 16" 308 for her. Screw this 3-gun crap........CARNITAS BABY!!!!!!

Got all my rifle and pistol ammo loaded for RM3G next week! First time shooting this match and I while I'm still really looking forward to it, I'm a bit bummed. I tore my left calf 2 weeks ago. It's feeling much better but still tender and haven't tried to run yet. Quick movements still hurt. Physical therapy was today with a lot of good feeling stretches and exercises. Hoping to be able to move smooth and not re-injure it so I can at least finish the match...

My daughter and I shot 5 pigs under night vision and I.R. laser with suppressors.Transition drills under "green light" !!! 458 SOCOM for me and a 16" 308 for her. Screw this 3-gun crap........CARNITAS BABY!!!!!!

Did you bring enough carnitas to share with the class?

Oh, man that sounds like fun! We don't have piggies here, but we do have an abundance of black bears. I try to fill at least two of the four tags I could get per year, and try to ensure that the shots are either far enough to be an accuracy challenge, or close enough to be a panic shooting challenge. Shooting bears between 30 yards and 400 yards just isn't any fun :)

That is too cool!

Spent an hour with my shotgun, mostly shooting a plate rack from an empty start. Then I finally patterned my gun. I now understand why I keep missing really close clays, with my standard choke (LM) I might as well be shooting a slug at them, so my stage planning from here on will include choke changing or occasional aiming (Gasp!). Then I shot groups with my rifle with a few different loads to get accuracy benchmarks. I hate shooting groups. Then I practiced pistol accuracy by shooting the plate rack from holstered (draw, shoot one plate, holster, repeat) at 15 to 35 yards and was so pleased I decided to shoot at a 12" plate from 50 to 85 yards. Very pleasantly surprised by the results. Then once it was dark out I went outside and practiced shotgun loading in near complete darkness, just to see if I could maintain my normal speed using muscle memory alone. Again, pleasantly surprised.

Edited by TonytheTiger