Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sheild trigger upgrade help!

jbultman

Looking to upgrade my trigger for my shield 9mm. I've had it about a year. Shot 1570 rounds through it. I started shooting idpa with my G19 then progressed into a G34 and uspsa production.

Now with that being said my shield is my primary carry in the summer with my G19 in the winter.

Because of the competition (or lack there of) at a local idpa club and my winning by a min of 30 seconds almost every time. I've decided to switch to shooting my shield at this particular club. I'm not going to stop going because I love the people, that's where I got my start...my shield is going to be my for fun idpa gun and carry gun. Keeping my G34 for competitions. I want to upgrade the trigger where I like it and like shooting it, right now I feel proficient but not 100% comfortable with it.

I'm looking at 2 apex kits. Which one would you choose? I've been going back and forth between the two for a little while. Deciding to now pull the trigger.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191855

--or--

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191833

Thanks in advance!

It all depends if you like the feel of the trigger itself on the gun you have. Break wise, it will feel the same. It all depends if you like the glock style trigger or the smith and Wesson style as they both feel a little different when you pull them.

The Action and Trigger kit is much better in my opinion, but that is mostly because I dislike the hinged M&P trigger as I feel it provides too much built in "mushiness".

The combined kit feels quite good, though nowhere near competition lightness so it still makes for a great carry trigger.

You could of course go for the action kit only and see how it works for you, and add the trigger later if you decide you would like further improvement.

Edited by Domineaux

I see what yall are saying. I like the idea of the progression. In generalities, I like the feel of the glock (flat faced) trigger over the m&p (hinged) trigger. For that reason I switched out my m&p22 hinged trigger for a flat faced "glock" style one.

The main reason holding me back not getting the one with the trigger it self is... I don't want it to be too light! Ive shot a buddies m&p9 comp gun with the full apex kit and nom hinged trigger and its too light. I love what I've done to my G34 trigger but I don't want it to be that light as well. I want it to be a little heavier. In case if I would have to pull the gun in a situation when I'm carrying.

The Shield Action and Trigger kit is nothing like the Forward Set Sear and Trigger or even the normal DCAEK.

I haven't weighed mine, but I estimate it at around 5.5-6.5lbs when compared to my 4.5lb M&P 9c with DCAEK and 3.5lb Pro9 with FSS.

If you are still going to carry your gun concealed, I would definitely go for the dcaek, over the competition one. Although you are shooting idpa with it, like your last post states, you don't want that light of a trigger pull on a carry gun!

Believe the trigger return spring has a big impact on the trigger pull weight. My duty/carry kits came w 2 return springs, both giving heavier pulls than if using the oem trigger return spring. installed a kit on my 9c. With oem spring pull is 3.75lbs, lighter of apex springs, 4.5. That is the one that is in for both carry and competition.

I actually asked a couple people I shoot with if they had a shield with the apex kit w/trigger... To my surprise, on person actually has a 40cal w/ it installed. I dry fired it a couple times. It's not too light, nice trigger pull. Shorter pretravel and over travel. Overall I like it and I'm ordering it.

Thanks for everything guys!

I actually shot my shield tonight... It went well, pretty fun too! Definitely different. Goes back into battery faster than my G34. Did well. Finished top 10, Out of 40. Going to challenge me.

As a side note. I need to focus on 20-25 yard shots with it, a little different with the XS big dots I have on it! Haha

Edited by jbultman