Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP shaving coating when seating

rev1911

Has anyone had good luck with the standard Dillon powder/flairing die when using these new-fangled coated bullets? From the sounds of it, its not worth trying with the Dillon die. I've been looking to switch to these lower cost bullets in 45. I guess another die isn't the end of the world.

I've loaded thousands with Dillon dies with no shaving issues.

Same here (dillon dies and funnel) thousands of coated bullets (as well as jacketed and plated). I do go slower with the coated ones, taking time to make sure they start out reasonably straight. They're not as durable/forgiving as jacketed.

I find it best to use three fingers to place the bullet on the flared case.

Index finger on top of the bullet with slight downward pressure, with thumb and second finger in the sides. They set straight for me that way.

Using just two fingers on the sides of the bullet, the bullet sometimes want to tip over slightly.

I load on a 550b and had a shaving problem with coated bullets. I think the flare on the mouth was sufficient, but try as I might, I just couldn't keep them straight going into the seater die. I got a Hornady New Dimension seater die with it's floating bullet alignment sleeve and it solved my troubles. Keeps the bullet lined up as it seats it. No more shaving, and I almost never have one that doesn't go in my case gauge after. When it was shaving with my old seater die, I had a number that wouldn't pass.

$21-23 at Midway depending on whether you want taper crimp or roll crimp. I got the roll crimp because I taper crimp in a separate step and don't use the crisper on the seater die.

I just bought one for 9mm.

JT.

• 3 months later...

I can't really tell from the pictures, but if you're using an impact bullet puller, the bullet often flies out, bounces off the the inside end of the hammer, then flies back into the case mouth where it will get scraped or gouged. It may be that's whats happening, and your bullets aren't damaged until you pull them.

I haven't noticed a smell issue with Hi-Tek coated bullets, but I suspect it depends on the powder being used and the procedures used to apply the coating.

I've used Universal Clays, WST, and Promo in 9mm, and have used WST, regular Clays, and Promo in .45. For Hi-Tek coated bullets, I've used Bayou, Black and Blue, and Missouri Bullet.

Also, for .45acp, I've found Black and Blue to run a "little wide" and order them sized to .451.

I think you're right about using the kinetic puller. On a couple bullets there was a sort of scallop shaped scrape, and I was baffled at how it happened while seating, but now that makes sense, it probably happened when the bullet bounced back into the edge of the case.

So far I've run through a couple batches now, and I'm confident that there is no, or very very little, shaving occuring. My most recent batch had some very good accuracy.

These are the first coated bullets I've loaded (or fired), and at first I thought the smell was really bad, but now after a few range trips, I don't really notice it anymore. I think the first batch, using W231, was definitely smokier than the Titegroup I'm using now, which added to the "aroma" :blink:

Shove a cotton ball in your bullet puller. It cushions the bullet when it comes out of the case and keeps it from bouncing around.