Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More Dot size

JimF38sup

I have been shooting open for over 20 years. Mostly with a custom STI 9x25 Dillon. Several years ago I switched to a 6 dot. Last year I purchased a new Grand Master which came with a 8 dot. I am thinking about changing again.

Anyone use or tried a 4?

I only shoot USPSA no steel.

Comments on how the size affects times? Accuracy?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a GM at my club that was swearing by the 4 and even the 2 MOA dots. I run a 6 in all of my USPSA guns and like it but I'm thinking about switching to a 4 to see how I like that one.

I went from 8 to 6. When I asked about going to a 4 those who had tried it said it washes out too easily when the sun is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I use a 4 on my gun and i love it used to have a 6 but my gunsmith ( who also is one of the top shooters in my county) advised me to try a 4 .

Must say that most of the ranges here are indoors .

Ya once you start going below a 6 you can Definately have sun issues where it washes out in the sun on a bright day especially if the battery is a touch weak. A 6 may washout as well if the sun is real bad and at a bad position. I have not had issues with an 8 washing out

Started with 6 MOA. went to 4 MOA, back to 6 MOA and now shoot 8 MOA. 4 MOA and sometimes 6MOA will wash out in bright sun or early morning sun in winter. I think bigger is faster to get on target, YMMV.

Bottom line is what works for you on the timer/at a match. Changing size usually works as the "trick of the day" for awhile and keeps your intensity up and is worth experimenting with.

used a 2 last week and didn't seem to make alot of difference BUT the gun wasn't running either so I was paying more attention to that than the dot

tried to reserect my old single stack 38 super open gun from the 80's with a slide mounted dot

Tried to cheat with using 9mm major ammo in a 38 super chamber !!! seemed to work in practice but not at match!!! had malfuntions on almost every array

Anyhow back to the dot the modules are reasonably priced to try one, might try a WTB in the classifieds

Edited by jcc7x7

I was using an 8, then went to a 6 and with bright sun and semi arid terrain here in South Texas, the dot would washout even at max setting to the point you lost time trying to find it. So I went back to an 8 and never had a problem. I will say that I do like the 6 better, if I didnt have a problem with the sun.

I went the other way and put a 12 MOA dot in my guns. It wasn't the size, but the brightness I cared about. Some of the clubs I shoot at have West facing bays. If you have to shoot into the late afternoon the lighting can get to the point where you can barely see the dot. Going to a 12 MOA solved that problem. If the small dots were brighter I would rather use a 4 MOA.

I use a 7. What the... you ask? it's a 6 with two 357 batteries instead of the 1/3N battery. I think it makes it slightly brighter and I'm always worrying about that. Same as everyone else... 6 or smaller washes out, but 8 is just not accurate enough for me. I probably swap batteries out too often even with the 357's but I like this setup. I get batteries about 24 at a time from cheapbatteries.com OH, also, I have the CMore Dot Hood installed. I'm happy with the setup.

probably 90% of open shooters I have asked are shooting a 6 or 8 minute dot. part of that is many brands of open gun come with that size as default. but even those who've changed tend to stick with 6 or 8. The top shooter in my country however uses a 4 minute dot in his cmore (he was third in last world shoot - Brodie). He says he prefers the small dot as it sharpens his dot focus.

I think for mortals the big dot is easier tot USPSA/IPSC shooting. For the shooting gods a smaller dot is probably just as fast but of benefit on longer or more precise shots. They are fairly cheap to buy and try. :) maybe buy a 4, 8 and 12 and see which end of the spectrum you like?

I use a 7. What the... you ask? it's a 6 with two 357 batteries instead of the 1/3N battery. I think it makes it slightly brighter and I'm always worrying about that. Same as everyone else... 6 or smaller washes out, but 8 is just not accurate enough for me. I probably swap batteries out too often even with the 357's but I like this setup. I get batteries about 24 at a time from cheapbatteries.com OH, also, I have the CMore Dot Hood installed. I'm happy with the setup.

Those batteries make the dot bigger? I can see it maybe being brighter but certainly not bigger.

@56hawk, I take it the 12 is bright.

I'm getting one this weekend and I'll try it. I think it'll work great for steel and USPSA.

So you really like it???

I don't really like it. It's just that without it I have a hard time seeing the dot in bright sun. If I could shoot indoor or at night I would use a 6.

Hello: I suggest you try a 6, 8 and a 12 to see what works for you and where you shoot. Bright sun and ground cover that reflects light a 12 is the way to go. In covered shooting areas with grass you can use a smaller dot. Remember you can turn the 12 MOA dot down for those tighter shots, so you are looking through the dot. I have tried 4,6,8,12 and even a 16 for steel. The 4 was no good for me at all and the 6 washed out in bright sun with caleche bays. I think for me a 8 will work the best but I have not tried one in a while. Maybe next weekend. Thanks, Eric