Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updates to IMA-SMM3G Rules - Heavy Metal

Competitors may now mix gun types within this division (e.g. scoped rifle/20 rounds per mag at start + pump shotgun/12 rounds at start = OK)

I think mixing gun types within the division, and allowing hi-cap 45's mixed in there gives the shooter more options to choose from. It may bring more shooters out to play.

Just a thought!

I'd run this combo:

Scoped rifle 20rds

Pump SG 12rds

Pistol 45 140mm or 15rds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that is the intent, to mix gun types. If so, why would you use a 10 round 45 pistol?

I think the intent is, if you use iron sight rifle and pump shotgun, you may upload to 15 in the pistol.

Edited by RiggerJJ

I don't think that is the intent, to mix gun types. If so, why would you use a 10 round 45 pistol?

I think the intent is, if you use iron sight rifle and pump shotgun, you may upload to 15 in the pistol.

The intent of the rules as currently written IS that the shooter can mix-n-match when it comes to rifle and shotgun. HOWEVER, there is no change to pistol rules... everyone shoots 10-round mags.

The idea of more-than-10-round pistol mags is entirely a proposal of others in this thread... it is NOT part of the IMA rules as currently written. Otherwise, as you stated, why would anyone run a smaller magazine?

If there was a strong consensus that making changes to the pistol rules was going to SIGNIFICANTLY and SUSTAINABLY increase HM participation, then I'd be happy to listen to anyone who wants to make that case.

My guiding principle in making these rules changes has been to prevent, as much as possible, creating an arms race where folks have to run out to buy a whole new gun to be competitive. A longer shotgun mag tube is a manageable expenditure for most folks... a $2000 pistol not so much.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My response was to Gunther and his first idea of having 2 separate choices with scoped being restricted in ammo capacity and irons with higher ammo capacity. His second post was totally different and skewed by allowing the 2 to cross-choose gun setups. That idea would put the 10 round pistol out of play. I was just commenting on his screwed up 2nd post, not the overall thread as started by stealthy.

As long as there is a heavy division at SMM3G with a .308 rifle, 12g Auto shotgun and .45 auto pistol, I will likely try it in 2016. Never having shot heavy, that is appealing to me.

9mm in Heavy just seems weak to me. Pump only just seems to be "manual", not heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as there is a heavy division at SMM3G with a .308 rifle, 12g Auto shotgun and .45 auto pistol, I will likely try it in 2016. Never having shot heavy, that is appealing to me.

9mm in Heavy just seems weak to me. Pump only just seems to be "manual", not heavy.

The "heavy" of the pump gun is the fixed breech recoil impulse.

• 3 months later...

I really like Marks idea of a split 100% for the 2 heavy rifles, magnified and not. They are fairly equal up to the 100 yard range but throw in some enviromental factors at distance and the scope has its advantage. I could also see trying this for the limited/tactical division.

I have to admit the more I read about heavy division the more I wish I could afford it

Maybe someday I'll place high enough in the few majors I am able to make and pick up a .308 rifle, optic and a .45. Would need a pump gun for this match too, but hey one (well two) problems at a time