Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open, limited?

Loudgp

Just starting out, been running ss with a custom kimber in .45acp.. looking to get into a limited 2011 or open in 9mm, run minor or major.. any suggestions? or anyone got one they want to part with? Been looking at infinity or sti, also akai customs

I had dovetails cut in the slide of my 9mm open gun for sights, and a KKM barrel fitted to it. When I want to shoot limited minor or 3 gun with it, I unbolt the Cmore, put the sights in the dovetails, and swap the barrels. I have a new open gun at the platers, so this one may stay as a limited setup in the future.

just be aware that in limited a 9mm can ONLY run minor. in open you can run it major or minor.

This. I am just starting out in USPSA as well, descent background in shooting though. I went the oppisite direction, i bought a .40 to get into it after reading the rule book cause i didnt know what division i would like better and i am used to shooting .40... i shot 2 weeks of production then switched to Limited10, going to limited once i get my mag parts... I switched to L/L10 because of the scoring bump, i could have had more points on small misses because of the larger caliber.... when i build an open gun it will most likely be a 9mm but if you shoot a 9mm in any class other than open you lose points.

Edited by evilbeef54

They may be the same points for alphas but the Non alphas are what get you and i know I can go a lot faster if I'm willing to accept some Charlie's. The only place I see minor helping is in revolver which the 8vs 6 rounds helps a lot with 8 round arrays usually and the revolver guys are usually getting the better points as the points are more valuable than the time usually. In singlestack it MAY help depending on the cof if it's more friendly for 10 rounds over 8!rounds. The big ones are the 6-4-6-4 arrays with not a ton of space to load between them so the minor guys can get 2 positions on a mag vs 1 on an 8 round gun. In limited the difference is usually 3 rounds 20 vs 23 which makes the rounds less valuable. In open most are shooting a 9/38 at major pf so it's the same number of rounds and the major guns usualy shoot flatter.

Since you're accustomed to iron sights, I suggest you stay with irons. You can go 9 Minor and stay more accurate so you don't suffer the points loss. Or, go 40 Major, and push the speed. With the right load, 40 is Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Checo

They may be the same points for alphas but the Non alphas are what get you and i know I can go a lot faster if I'm willing to accept some Charlie's. The only place I see minor helping is in revolver which the 8vs 6 rounds helps a lot with 8 round arrays usually and the revolver guys are usually getting the better points as the points are more valuable than the time usually. In singlestack it MAY help depending on the cof if it's more friendly for 10 rounds over 8!rounds. The big ones are the 6-4-6-4 arrays with not a ton of space to load between them so the minor guys can get 2 positions on a mag vs 1 on an 8 round gun. In limited the difference is usually 3 rounds 20 vs 23 which makes the rounds less valuable. In open most are shooting a 9/38 at major pf so it's the same number of rounds and the major guns usualy shoot flatter.

I won my class in Limited division over 23 other shooters who were all shooting major pf at the Georgia State match last year shooting my EAA witness Limited in 9mm. So yes you do lose points throwing C and D hits but the fact of the matter is that I can still shoot my 9mm gun faster than my 40 and it makes me be more accurate rather than using a major pf round and "accepting" some C hits which I think of as a crutch. What I mean by that is I am more likely to just throw rounds on the target as opposed to actually aiming which is what we all should be doing in the first place, with the exception of the really close point and shoot targets of course. Less recoil, 23 rounds vs 20, cheaper to load and easier to shoot fast make 9 minor better than conventional logic would suggest. Like I said if you shoot alphas then the points are the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're casting a pretty wide net there :)

9mm 2011s in Limited or Open trim come up in the classifieds here pretty often.

Where is the classifieds page? Ive been searching on here for a little while and cant find the link. THanks

You seriously can't find the classifieds section? Are classifieds not visible until 50 posts or is this the worst search attempt ever? lol