Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of a Rem 1911 Enhanced

Flash74

The deal with Remington through USPSA has me itching to get a R1 enhanced to play with. Are there any reasons to avoid the pistol? Are there better 1911's out there for $540 or less. I keep looking at all the positives and am wondering if there are any negatives that I am not seeing.

Thanks, Ryan

I could get my wife to call you. That's how it worked for me. ;)

Once you paid shipping tax and transfer it was like $140 in savings.

If I wasn't saving for a new jeep I would have picked one up to scratch that 1911 45 acp itch.

Internet reviews seem positive when I looked

The deal with Remington through USPSA has me itching to get a R1 enhanced to play with. Are there any reasons to avoid the pistol? Are there better 1911's out there for $540 or less. I keep looking at all the positives and am wondering if there are any negatives that I am not seeing.

Thanks, Ryan

$540 for a R1 Enhanced? That's a damn good deal, and you should jump whether you like the pistol or not. If you decide you don't, take it back to the gun store and get more than that in trade equity on your next purchase.

For anyone wondering it is $646 for a SS enhanced R1 shipped with tax. Remington has not answered my question on why I was charged tax when they are located I North Carolina and I am in Ohio.

In my original post I said $540 for the pistol, apparently I can't read. It is $558 for the black coated pistol and $588 for the SS. Overall I saved about $140 over dealer price from a friend and about $200 from online stores. Local stores are a joke, $900+ from the big box stores (Gander, Bass Pro, Cabelas) and the local mom & pop do not carry them.

I just ordered it Friday. Once it comes in I will update on how long it took to get here and post some pics.

Remington is not screwing around. I ordered the pistol on Thursday the 14th and it arrived on the 19th. Too bad I can't pick it up until the 30th. Oh well, it gives me time to shop for gear.

Edited by Flash74

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a Remington 1911 R1 Carry. I found one on Gunbroker for $650.

Based on some older postings I was worried about the reliability and tight 8 round mags.

But took it to the range and not a single malfunction. 8 round Rem mag, 7 round Rem mag, 8 Round Cobra mag, etc. Mags insert and lock in easily.

I ran Jack Ross 230gr reman ammo, and went through 100 rounds.

REALLY accurate gun, too! Recoil is manageable.

Cocobolo grips are REALLY GRIPPY. I was really surprised.

My only complaints are the standard mag release needs an extended mag release, and the slide release is a little stiff.

Ordering new mag release and mag release lower pressure spring.

I think the slide release will get worked in over time.

What else should I get for this?...lower powered spring package? Buffer?

I ordered a bunch of Chip McCormick PowerMags for it.

Cody

Edited by cclaxton

Silly me, I forgot to take pics. I finally picked mine up yesterday. It got to my friends house (FFL) in 5 days from ordering. Remington got the pistol out quick. I was camping last weekend so I had to wait a week to pick it up. In that time I ordered 6 mags from Brownells, 4 from CDNN, and mag pouches and holster off amazon.

My friend just got his MGM plate rack setup so we broke it in. The pistol out of the box was hitting 8" left at 10 yards. I had to aim right between the plates to hit center of the intended plate. The rear sight was visibly off center. Up and down was in the center of the fiber optic. Too low for my tastes, I like it to hit at the top of the front sight. A few minutes on the bench and the rear sight drifted easily to the right and the elevation was adjusted to my tastes. It was hitting dead on at 10 yards. I have not shot a 1911 in years. The past 4 years I have competed with a M&P in one form or another in USPSA or 3gun. I shot the pistol like crap at any sort of speed. I hit low with every shot. I beat the crap out of my friends deflector on his plate rack. I owe him a can of paint. Once I took my time I could clear the rack no problem. This is going to be a learning experience for me.

I am happy with the pistol. Other than a sight adjustment all was well. The factory mags fed and functioned, the brownells mags worked great and the 4 mags from CDNN (in kit with cheap case) also worked flawlessly. Overall we put 200 rounds through the pistol and did not experience a single stoppage. The only issue affected my friend, some mags did not lock back for him. I had no issues with any mag and I made sure I went through all 12. Only time will tell if it was a grip issue or mag issue.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone wondering it is $646 for a SS enhanced R1 shipped with tax. Remington has not answered my question on why I was charged tax when they are located I North Carolina and I am in Ohio.

In my original post I said $540 for the pistol, apparently I can't read. It is $558 for the black coated pistol and $588 for the SS. Overall I saved about $140 over dealer price from a friend and about $200 from online stores. Local stores are a joke, $900+ from the big box stores (Gander, Bass Pro, Cabelas) and the local mom & pop do not carry them.

i might help on the tax issue. If your state charges sales tax, you still owe tax - even if you purchase via the internet from another state. There are some options as to how things are handled: They charge no tax on the sale and trust that you will pay the tax on your income tax return (this is called use tax). They could collect and remit sales tax for the many different states they do business with (pain in the butt). They could collect sales tax because they have sufficient nexus in your state to justify it, meaning they have employees or facilities in your state. In short, it is not correct that we avoid sales tax by purchasing something from out of state or over the internet - we still owe the tax. Kind of sucks.

Does anyone else find that pyramid aggressive checkering on the main spring housing uncomfortable? I shot my friends enhanced and it was down right sharp. His hands bled after a few mags because the little pyramids were so sharp. Is that normal or is something wrong with his? Is that a part that is easily replaceable?