Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fun with 95gr Bayou and TiteGroup

ZackJones

I'm starting to work up a steel challenge load (no PF) with Bayou 95gr bullets and figured I'd try TiteGroup for the powder. I saw the recommended starting charge was 4.7. I figured for steel challenge I could get by with less so I loaded up some with 4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.4, 3.2, 3.0, and 2.8 grains. I shot each load from one of the Para Pro Custom 18.9's I have as well as the Glock 34. Both pistols are stock. I tried using Doug's recommended approach of loading a single round to see if it would lock back. None of the loads would lock the slide back on the Para. On the Glock I think it locked back down to 3.6 (I'd have to double check my notes). Although every load would go bang when I pulled the trigger there were several loads that wouldn't even eject the brass. I did like the feel of the 3.6 and 3.8 loads so I guess my next approach will be to try a different recoil spring.

If you have any experience with light weight steel challenge loads I'd love to hear 'em. (Yes I've already searched).

I have listed mine a few times but I did go with light springs and I was using MG 95gr JHP. I was able to get sub 100 PF reliable and accurate loads. Makse sure to check for accuracy since there are issues with tryng to stabilize the light bullets. I have go back and check it but it was something like 3.9 or 4.0 (maybe a little higher) of N320, oal was 1.065, and I was using the lightest springs I could find (I think it was 6). My SC 2011 has a very light slide and Ti comp. I will dig up my notes later and try to update my info. What springs do you have for it? How light is your slide?

Your loads failed to function about where mine did. I was good at 3.8 grains but had issues at 3.6 grains. I was using 100gr Raniers.

Whenever I am able to get back to shooting I am going to try some WST.

I am running a 14lb spring in my XDm.

Edited by ToddKS

Found some notes. At 4.7 N330, I was at 105 PF. I did get some in at 4.4 and it was just under 100 PF. A light spring and slide are really needed. It has to be super clean and slick so make sure there is minimal slide resistance.

5.1 GRS. Of SOLO 1000,95gr. MG or 95gr. Bayou with 11lb. Spring on my Open Glock 17 Steel gun gives me 110 power factor. Slide is lightened and 11 port SJC Comp.

Edited by sweetback

Check your accuracy. 88-95 JHPs will shoot through one hole at 35 yds, but substituting fmj will open up the groups something fierce......The Bayous should be more oversize than the fmjs and should be more accurate, but don't just go for feel.......Shoot groups bracketing like that and find the load that shoots accurately. If it takes .04 grains more than what you like "feel" wise, go with the accurate load. When you are shooting 5 to Go you don't want a 3-4inch load when you can bump up to a sub 1 inch load.......... :goof:

DougC

I've always shot 147's. I'm going to order some 147's from bayou soon, I think I'll get a few thousand 95's to play with too. Let me know what you come up with. Zach, What pound recoil spring were you running in the Glock?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do appreciate it. I have some other powders I can test with but for now TiteGroup seems to work well with these really light bullets so I'm probably going to stick with it. I'm sure at some point I'll try my go to powder which is E3 but for that one I really have no idea where to start. Instead of doing multiple quotes I'll just combine replies here:

Springs - right now both guns are completely stock so they are running the factory springs. I do have a lighter weight spring for the Glock and found a set of springs on eBay today for the Para that will give me 7 - 11 to test with. There's been no slide lightening done on either. In fact that's not something I had thought about for the Para but that may not be a bad idea (assuming I keep it).

Doug - You make some valid points about testing for accuracy. I'll plan to do that as part of the dial in process. I guess it's a good thing I bought 500 of them to use for testing/development.

OAL is 1.060 which is the shortest I've ever loaded but they case gauged and ran, even thought I had to manually rack the side with the light loads to get the cartridge out.

I will say that shooting a center fire pistol after 5 months of shooting rimfire is quite an eye opening experience. I should have DQ'd myself for holstering without engaging the safety. Good thing it was only practice/test and not a match :).

I think I'll plan to load 50 each at 4.0, 3.8, and 3.6 and use those for testing with the springs next weekend.

If your guns will run SWC's get some Ibejihead 100gr SWC's. With a 14 lb recoil spring in my XDM 5.25 I run 3.4 gr titegroup at 1.03 OAL. It's a pretty accurate load that feels about like shooting a .22. That's my steel challenge load.

I tried some 95 gr RN but couldn't get any kind of decent accuracy no matter what I did.

I'm running Bayou 135's with 3.4gr of TG in my G34. I think I have a 14lb spring in it right now. No issues with function or recoil. Looking forward to you testing with reduced power springs.

Edited by wbyrd01

I have the tracking number for the recoil springs and USPS estimates Friday delivery. Even if they get here on Saturday that's cool as I'll do my next round of testing on Sunday. The Glock 34 I was testing with last weekend has been sold and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Convert one of my Paras to open or buy a Gen 4 Glock 17 and use that as the basis for a steel challenge open gun. I'm a little hesitant about converting one of the Paras because on the para section I asked about adding a red dot and was cautioned that the metal on the side is kind of thin. The last thing I want to do is have something mounted and then have the frame crack on me. I can buy two Glock 17's for the price of one Para. Decisions, decisions.

Zack, we were running Para with scopes on them before the STIs came out, at Major power....no problem. With steel loads you shouldn't have any issues as long as your smith knows what he is doing.

If you are worried then use a Serendipity dual side mount. They work great, especially on aluminum frames.

DougC

Zack, we were running Para with scopes on them before the STIs came out, at Major power....no problem. With steel loads you shouldn't have any issues as long as your smith knows what he is doing.

If you are worried then use a Serendipity dual side mount. They work great, especially on aluminum frames.

DougC

Thanks Doug! That's a great idea. Now to find a smith that knows what he's doing :).

I loaded and shot a few 95gr bayou's today. What a fun round to shoot, I may have to start shooting the steel challenge again.

Oh swell. Just when I thought I had a chance to move up in the standings :). I do hope you'll come shoot with us. Registration is open for our matches this month.

My calibration spring kit didn't arrive in time for me to do any testing over the weekend. I did pick up a 10 pound spring from the LGS but even with that spring and 4g of TiteGroup the slide wouldn't lock back with a single round. The springs came in yesterday so I'll get to do some testing this weekend and see if I can find a combo that works. I also loaded a few with my go to powder e3 and they all went bang but wouldn't lock the slide back.

Another issue I have is I ride the safety with my thumb and I know sometimes it hits the slide. I'm going to have to get a different safety fitted so I won't continue to do that.

I am trying the Bayou 105's next. Donnie says the accuracy is better with these. Anyone try these yet.

I have some at home if you want some to test with before you order any from Donnie.

I am trying the Bayou 105's next. Donnie says the accuracy is better with these. Anyone try these yet.

I have some at home if you want some to test with before you order any from Donnie.

I can donate some of my MG 95 JHP if you guys want to play with them. I haven't been shooting SC much lately and got some laying around.

I can donate some of my MG 95 JHP if you guys want to play with them. I haven't been shooting SC much lately and got some laying around.

I'd gladly take some. Thanks man!

Get a hold of me on DCO tomorrow and I'll get with you...