Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Mags for 1911 9mm and cartridge OAL Tolerance

Quag

I reload 9mm and use 147 grn Bayou FN bullets loaded to a OAL of 1.135 to 1.14. I brought my new 1911 S&W 9mm Pro to a USPSA practice (glad it was not a match)and had a problem with some of the rounds hanging up in the Wilson Combat Mags. This was curious because I had fired about 200 rounds of my reloaded ammo and did not have a single feed problem. Upon closer examination the bullets were too long so I took out the spacer in the back of the mag and put 10 rounds through it. One bullet hang up but when the mag was empty my 1911 did slide lock. Repeated the experiment and same results. So I reinserted the spacer.

Back at the bench I found that the OAL on my recent 200 round batch had crept up to 1.14 to 1.147. I sorted rounds and using a caliper I found that 1.135 OAL just barely fit in the Wilson mag, it tolerated up to 1.14 but that was very tight and anything above 1.14 was not acceptable.

Just curious if anyone has noticed this tight tolerance with Wilson Combat SS mgs 9mm or otherwise. I don't think this is a problem for me because I'll adjust my bullet seating die back to 1.135 and check it more frequently. I also tried the longer 1.14 to 1.147 rounds in my Glock mags and no problem. But that Glock eats everything except Tula Ammo (does not like Ruskies)

I don't have any 9mm ammo loaded to longer that 1.140 right now, but the ammo at that OAL is very close to being as long as I would dare to try to use in my Wilson 9mm magazines. I believe your plan to reduce OAL to 1.135 is a prudent and wise one. Thanks for sharing this information.

readjusted my dillon 550 to target 1.135 I forgot what a PTA it is to get repeatable coals. Id say its adjusted to get around 1.135 but actually it loads to between 1.132 and 1.135 with a couple of 1.137 and 1.139 outliers

To those that replied to this topic here is a reply from Wilson Combat regarding my questions;

Anthony (Wilson Combat Support)

May 7, 20:32

Frank,

We have noted that anything consistently over 1.140" is too long for the spacer. We are actually in the process of revising the mags now to allow greater OAL for reloaders. Most factory ammo is shorter.

Sincerely,

Anthony

Online Technical Support

1-800-955-4856

Fax: 1-870-545-3310

www.wilsoncombat.com

I load my 147's to 1.12 with my Wilson Mags. With anything longer I got some rubbing and shaving of the moly coating.

Thanks Ed, interesting, I was thinking of loading to <1.135 but worried about pressure. Did you chrono your 147s at 1.12? what fps are you getting and what powder are you using? I use 3.2 grns Tite Group for matches and 3.8 grns Win 231 for practice.

Thx