Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

concealment garments

sk330lc

So I was watching the in door nationals on the outdoor channel tonight and noticed, many big name shooter were wearing vests that didn't cover their gear with their hands at their sides. What's up with that?

I just found it amusing . In my Head a rule is a Rule. If you like it or not you should follow it. With out basic principles and honesty you are nothing in my IMHO.

Edited by sk330lc

So what you all are essentially saying is that the guys that can out shoot everyone here with both hands tied behind their back, while hopping up and down on one foot and blindfolded cheated ? Is that what you are saying ?

Edited by zipollini

So what you all are essentially saying is that the guys that can out shoot everyone here with both hands tied behind their back, while hoping up and down on one foot and blindfolded cheated ? Is that what you saying ?

Not at all. Its not cheating if the SO's are treating everyone the same. As I said I just found it interesting I could see holsters and mag holders hanging below several vests.

These shooters are way more talented than I'll ever be.

I do think the Rules should be enforced more. Not only at major matches but at Club levels as well.

So what you all are essentially saying is that the guys that can out shoot everyone here with both hands tied behind their back, while hoping up and down on one foot and blindfolded cheated ? Is that what you are saying ?

Yet another example of why I let my membership expire even though I renewed my SO cert for the new rulebook. If the rules don't matter then you don't need people like me. Heck, why even bother to make the top guys use cover garments. They're gonna win, so just let them shoot as a parade/demo in their sponsored team shirts and give them the trophies that we all know they'll get anyways. Basic principles of the game and integrity be damned.

Or look at it like this...if they're that good, and we all know they are, they don't need to wear rule skirting gear to kick our butts. So why do they?

There is no requirement for the equipment to be hidden with hands at sides. I'd bet these shooters pass the scare crow test. There is absolutely no upside for these vests to be illegal. It would make the shooter and the sponsors look bad, and there is no competitive advantage to be gained.

There is no requirement for the equipment to be hidden with hands at sides. I'd bet these shooters pass the scare crow test. There is absolutely no upside for these vests to be illegal. It would make the shooter and the sponsors look bad, and there is no competitive advantage to be gained.

If they don't pass with hands at sides, they aren't going to pass the scarecrow test either. It would just exaggerate the issue.

If they don't pass with hands at sides, they aren't going to pass the scarecrow test either. It would just exaggerate the issue.

Indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I always tell the new guys to spend less than $50 on a concealment garment. It's the least important piece of kit to run IDPA and some folks drop $120+ on them. I can't tell a difference between the 5.11 range/tactical vests, fishing vests (legit fishing vests), and the competitive concealment/armadillo concealment ones. The only thing the high dollar ones REALLY have going for them is the mesh panel on the back for those mid summer matches.

I always tell the new guys to spend less than $50 on a concealment garment. It's the least important piece of kit to run IDPA and some folks drop $120+ on them. I can't tell a difference between the 5.11 range/tactical vests, fishing vests (legit fishing vests), and the competitive concealment/armadillo concealment ones. The only thing the high dollar ones REALLY have going for them is the mesh panel on the back for those mid summer matches.

There is no way a fly fishing vest would cover a gun and mags worn at the waist. They are short for a reason.

There is no way a fly fishing vest would cover a gun and mags worn at the waist. They are short for a reason.

Yet and still my concealment garment is indeed a fishing vest, so the longer variety do exist. I'm 6'5 so I have to wear my belt a touch higher than normal to pass the scarecrow, but it's the same with the 5.11 et all as well.

Yet and still my concealment garment is indeed a fishing vest, so the longer variety do exist. I'm 6'5 so I have to wear my belt a touch higher than normal to pass the scarecrow, but it's the same with the 5.11 et all as well.

You shouldn't have to adjust your belt to compensate for your cover garment. It's the other way around. That's why some people pay extra to get a cover garment that is tailored to them. I shoot with several very tall gentlemen. They also had issues with proper cover garments. One call to Armadillo Concealment resolved that.

Am I one of those people that dropped $120+ for gamer gear? Yeah. It's a drop in the bucket in comparison to other ongoing sport expenses. I used to use a 5.11 vest. It was good. My custom cover garment was better.

I've had my vest coverage checked at a stage in every major match, including nationals. Some folks just pull their pants up and tighten their belts for the test, then go back to low riding for the rest of the match.

There was a guy in my squad at the last match with a very interesting approach to cover garments. His was a tight-fitting "under armor" type shirt. He passed the scarecrow test easily. I watched him a few times and it sure looked slower to draw from. However, the draw was really the only issue. After he lifted the shirt above his belt line to access the gun, the shirt stayed there! Now his access to spare mags was way faster! He simply used both hands at the buzzer to pull the shirt up above his gun belt, and he was off to the races. Pretty ingenious...I could see it working for a BUG shooter that may have to reload 3 times (if he has a miss) in a stage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I can't understand is why nobody has ever used a beach towel. Is there a requirement that the "concealment garment" stay on for the whole stage? No? Welcome to tactical towel and clothespin time! Beep! Whoosh! And it's off to the races. Suitable for all day wear and I can perform tasks in it too.