Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder bar bolt adjustment - repeatability

Are powder bar bolt adjustments repeatable? Say for example I attach one of those rosette knobs to my powder bar bolt, can I mark the knob for 2 different powder charges and move back and forth between those two and expect the powder measure to throw correct charges?

If so, then what advantage does the Uniquetek Micrometer offer other than making it easy to interpret where the knob needs to be (i.e., which revolution) for a given desired charge?

If not, then what does the Uniquetek do differently than the stock powder bolt to ensure repeatability?

The uniquetek unit is a true micrometer. Very fine threads with reference marks. The Stock bolt is a course thread bolt with no reference markings and nowhere near as adjustable as the micrometer. So no, I found you could turn the stock knob two full turns and then back two full turns and it was closes but not the same charge. The micrometer will pretty much throw the exact same charge if you do the same test.

The uniquetek unit is a true micrometer. Very fine threads with reference marks. The Stock bolt is a course thread bolt with no reference markings and nowhere near as adjustable as the micrometer. So no, I found you could turn the stock knob two full turns and then back two full turns and it was closes but not the same charge. The micrometer will pretty much throw the exact same charge if you do the same test.

That's exactly the info I was looking for! :cheers:

Are powder bar bolt adjustments repeatable? Say for example I attach one of those rosette knobs to my powder bar bolt, can I mark the knob for 2 different powder charges and move back and forth between those two and expect the powder measure to throw correct charges?

If so, then what advantage does the Uniquetek Micrometer offer other than making it easy to interpret where the knob needs to be (i.e., which revolution) for a given desired charge?

If not, then what does the Uniquetek do differently than the stock powder bolt to ensure repeatability?

I found the Dillon adjustment bar to be extremely repeatable, IF, you make the final adjustment by always turning the nut clockwise (removing all the slop from the threads).

I have the Uniquetek micrometer on my powder bar.. I load major & minor... I took a picture of the setting for both and can return to them quickly

I have the Uniquetek micrometer on my powder bar.. I load major & minor... I took a picture of the setting for both and can return to them quickly

Why do you need a picture? Wouldn't it be quicker to have the two settings recorded in your reloading notebook and just dial them up on the micrometer?

Edited by G19