Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Priming

When priming 9mm cases on the 650, is it normal for the case to "lift up" from the shellplate as the press lever is pushed forward?

"Lift up" as in pop all the way out of the shell plate?

I bought the press itself with it configured for 9mm. I also had to send the original plate back because it made half-moon impressions on the headstamps. So I know it's the right one. I tightened the plate back when I got it just to point where anymore would have caused it to bind. The case is not popping out, just being lifted up a bit as the primer goes in.

It's part of why I'm trying ot figure out why the primer doesn't seem to seat deep enough...

Edited by hceuterpe

I locked it down with the black set screw on the ram, along with the big center bolt in the middle of the shellplate. I sort by headstamp, using Winchester white box casings right now, so definitely no crimp...

Edited by hceuterpe

I'd say a little vertical movement is fine as the seat pushes the primer into place. But it should stop moving once you press it all the way in. If you're not getting them seated deep enough you may want to check that the priming mechanism is threaded all the way into the head.

Is your bench stiff and anchored down? A janky bench can cause problems with priming.

When I seat primers, I just lock my arm and lean into the handle a bit. Seems to do the trick.

Edited by FTDMFR