Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square deal or 550

I currently reload on a Lyman turret press for 9mm and 40 s&w. Looking to upgrade and speed up production, so not sure which to go with square deal or 550? I am not looking to reload rifle on it right know has I will be keeping the turret press. I do want to easily be able to change pistol calibers though and made add in 45 in the never future.

I have had both. I currently use 4 550s. The square deal was an OK press, but I didn't like the smaller proprietary dies and it seemed too cramped for space to get my hand in there to put a bullet on the case. Also, I prefer a press that doesn't auto index. It's much easier to deal with when something has a problem. I am very happy with the 550s. Been using them for many years.

If you currently have dies and want to load multiple calibers then IMO the best option is a 550.

I've had a SDB and it worked well, but for doing multiple calibers I think you would be much happier with a 550. I've had a 550 since the 80's and do all my load development, rifle, and small batch handgun loading on it. I also have a 650, but use that for "production" runs of established loads for handgun. The 550 is a great press and is the press I would keep if I could only have one.

Either will do the job, but advantages are:

SDB - less expensive and auto indexes

550 - uses standard dies (esp useful for .40 major); will load rifle ammo; larger

You really can't go wrong with either. I'd buy the SDB and then a 550 down

the road, when you're ready - unless you're loading .40 major - then I'd skip

the SDB. :cheers:

I have had and loaded pistol rounds on a 1050, 550 & SDB. All were great presses. All produced perfect ammo.

I love the square deal. Low cost, auto index and small footprint. Currently I load 9mm & 45 ACP on it and don't mind the change over at all.

Great thing about it as you can often find a used one and once you out grow it, recover just about all of that initial cost.

Edited by warpspeed

I have SDB, 550s and 650s. If you are going to load pistol for one caliber, the SDB is great. I load 38/357 on it. If you want to load two calibers, I would get two SDBs, If you plan to load more than that, go with the 550. I use my 550s for rifle, and 650s for pistol that I shoot in large volume ( SMGs) like 30 carbine, 9mm, 40 , and 45 .

I load 9mm, .38 and .45 on two SDBs. One for LP and one for SP. .357sig, .38 Super, .40, .44 and rifle calibers are still on the Lee Turret. I have not yet loaded on a 550 but would be inclined to go with a 650 for the auto index. Just not ready to drop that much into a 650 as I would also want the case feeders and bullet feeders.

I reload .45 ACP on an SDB and have had no problems at all.

I recently picked up a second SDB and am using it for 9mm and have had no problems with it either.

I have both an XL650 and an RL550b. I have had a SDB previously.

If I was only doing one pistol caliber and only a few hundred rounds a month, I would say go with the SDB.

More calipers and/or rounds per month, go with the 550.

I do .45acp on the 650, 9mm and .223 on the 550, soon to add .300blk, 10mm and .308

Either will work and load quality ammo. I started with SDB and then went to 650. Got out of shooting and sold the 650. I picked the 550 this time because I already had the Lee dies and like you I load 9 and 40. If you want you should plan to come over after a match. You can try my 550 and then we can go to Davin's and you can try his SDB.

Is that a common thing among the Dillon dies? My 9 nor my 40 seems to re-size completely all the way down.

It is common to dillon dies. Have a look into the die from the bottom. You'll see the inner carbide sleeve is recesses from the outer steel. It makes it easier to run the machine fast but means it does not size as low down the case as it could. You can modify the die or use a lee size die which has a carbide sleeve flush with the outer.

I have both. For pistol only I would go with the SD, of course it cannot load rifle. If you ever want to load for rilfe, then the 550. You say you don't want to load rifle right now, but you start playing USPSA/IDPA and the next thing is 3 gun.

I have a SDB and I am very happy with it. I have never used a 550 or 650 but I would never sell my SDB if I bought a different press. I don't think you can go wrong with any dillon equipment. If you shop around you can find a deal that you will now lose on.

Is that a common thing among the Dillon dies? My 9 nor my 40 seems to re-size completely all the way down.

It is common to dillon dies. Have a look into the die from the bottom. You'll see the inner carbide sleeve is recesses from the outer steel. It makes it easier to run the machine fast but means it does not size as low down the case as it could. You can modify the die or use a lee size die which has a carbide sleeve flush with the outer.

I see that. And When you bring the plate up to resize it, you can see the bottom of the shell isn't all the way in the case. Not a huge deal as the mostly case gauge, but maybe I'll look into lee size die and give it a go for the hell of it. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, does that Lee U die allegedly resize the case all the way down? Is that the purpose? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/687452/lee-undersized-carbide-sizing-die-40-s-and-w

Edited by Meyer23

If you have a tight chamber and need the EGW or Lee "U" dies, then you won't be able to run a SDB unless you pre-size your cases. That isn't really that big an issue but you would need something like a single stage press for that operation.

Like others, I have looked at the Square Deal and I just prefer a manual index press. Strictly a personal preference.

I had problems with sizeing on my 550 but then re-adjusted the die so that it just hits the shell plate and the problen went away. I still have found that some

cases are comming through long. These cases don't fully seat in the gage but when reversed in the gage silde in fine. Haven't seen a case trimmer for 45 ACP.

I see that. And When you bring the plate up to resize it, you can see the bottom of the shell isn't all the way in the case. Not a huge deal as the mostly case gauge, but maybe I'll look into lee size die and give it a go for the hell of it. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, does that Lee U die allegedly resize the case all the way down? Is that the purpose? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/687452/lee-undersized-carbide-sizing-die-40-s-and-w

the lee die (I understand) has 2 modifications. the carbide inner sleeve is undersize so that it sizes the case smaller. also they turn down the outer die a little so that the inner sleeve can get closer to the bottom of the case. the lee dies already have the carbide sleeve closer to the the bottom of the outer sleeve than the dillon dies. it makes the alignment more crucial to smooth running in a progressive but it does give a more completely sized case.

Thanks, BB. Maybe I'll order up the Lee Die and see what it's all about. It's only $20, worse case it doesn't do anything more than my Dillon Die and nothing changes or best case, it helps resize the case further down.