Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open auto 38 variant vs 9 mm

itchy

you just have to get the timing right as the 9mm is shorter than a 45ACP which is what the gun was designed for. 38 super has the advantage of being closer to the 45ACP OAL. However it is more costly as the brass costs more and is hard to get sometimes. You also use more powder in a 38 super than 9mm however it is only .2 or .3 grs depending on powder and load. Barrel accuracy is the most important weither you have 9mm or 38 super.

The 9 is just too finicky for me to mess with. Powder selection is not very good. I would say that if you only used starline brass and reload only your brass then it would be fine. Too many want a 9 because they can pick just any brass up on the range. Not all 9mm cases are alike. These guns are finely tuned machines and cost thousands. With the power factors that we run, it doesn't take much to cause trouble. Would you run unleaded in a top fuel dragster? I don't think so. Same principle here.

If you want 9mm for cheap brass, and .38 Super for reliability, then fit both barrels. :)

.38 Super - $139

.38 SC - $149

.38 TJ - $169

9mm Luger - $130.50

In reality, even with 9mm, you will still want single headstamp, known history brass for big matches.. Most likely Starline. You're only gaining $10/K by shooting 9mm. 4K pcs of brass will last a long time and you're only looking at $40-$80 difference. Unless you shoot a lot on grass ranges, you'll be able to find most your brass.

Full disclaimer.. I shoot a 9mm Open gun, and I don't know very many others who do. I shoot Starline for big matches, and used to shoot WIN for practice. Now I shoot mixed, mostly military brass for practice.

Besides gunsmith related issues.. I've had good luck. With good ammo and good tuning, my gun runs nearly perfect. I've had two fluke malf's this year when using Starline brass. One, a nosedive, and 2, the ejected case got pinned between the shroud and slide. Luckily that was the last shot of the string so I didnt lose any points. Before these two, I havent had a malf with Starline in a very long time.

AP isnt like USPSA where you're running around a long stage flinging brass everywhere. It all ends up in one pile if you gun is a consistent ejector.

My next barrel will be a tougher choice. I'm vested in 9mm, have lots of Starline now and am mostly satisfied with how it runs. But it will still be a tough choice. Maybe I'll fit two barrels... but that extra $200+ gunsmith will buy a lot of brass. ;)

Edited by DWFAN

The only reason I went with 9mm on Louis's gun was cost in the beginning and I did not know then what I know now. I would have used 38 super. but as DWFAN says I am invested. However Louis's 9mm gun has been running good (No Jams) but the other problems are not timing related. Reloading ? and not cleaning comp. Both lessons learned.

Thanks for all of the great info, you've made my decision much easier. I'm sticking to Production. :goof:

Looks like I need to get another barrel, toolhead, and some brass from Starline!

Seiichi