Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enhanced Servie Revolver loads

Buff87

Sure am. I was shooting a 230 rnl (zero) over 3.1 Clays for about 570 fps from my 4" 625, but those bullets were not happy when I tried to push them to major, so I got some FMJ and set them atop 4.7 gr. of Titegroup for a more realistic .45 load--haven't chronoed it, but I'd guess 740 fps, or 170 pf.

Relatively expensive, though--gonna hafta try some hardcast (I'm thinking Kead) to try to keep the cost down. But now that I'm shooting real loads, I think I'll just shoot this gun in USPSA, and shoot my model 66 in the new SSR. Two games are better than one, and I think the 66 is more of a fit for the ideals of IDPA anyway. A moonclipped wheelgun is a kick in the pants on a 30-round course of fire, which you can only find in USPSA!

I'll prolly still try to shoot a good qualifier with the 625, though, just to say I did it.

Chris - FWIW, I shoot a 230 RNL over 4.8 grains of TG, and it goes just under 800 fps from my Commander. I load them relatively short (1.24") due to the way the Bar-Sto barrel is made; seating it out to 1.26-1.27" and firing it from a four inch revolver barrel would both bring the velocity down toward the 165 PF, so you're probably in the ballpark.

A warning, Ted: if you shoot 231 out of a revolver, especially at reduced loads, you're gonna get gummed up chambers and unburnt crap under your extractor (i.e., a gun that won't work in the middle of a stage). I love the way 231 shoots, but at less than maximum pressures, it's dirty as a (insert filthy epithet).

I don't shoot IDPA, but my new 610 makes 165+ power factor with 4.6 grains of VV N320, 180 grain Zero JHP, Federal GM100M primers, and Starline cases. The load is very accurate and consistent, and recoils just a little softer than factory 180s.

Well I didn't get any loaded anyway, something's wrong with my .45 mold.

FWIW, I've used a lot of 231 in the .38 special and it worked very well leaving very clean cases.  Never tried it in a .45 wheelgun though it worked well in the auto.

Ted

231 is ok for 38 special, but in light 45acp loads it is filthy and will gum up your extractor star. Clays is the best for light 45acp because it burns cleanly in bigger cases at low velocity. I use 4 grains of Clays for major with 230 fmj or 3.5 clays for minor with 200 plated bullet.

185 berrys over 4.9gr clays, 170 pf from 4" 625, recoil is a bit sharper than my old SSR load of 4.5 gr for 145 pf. The benefits are that there is a faster reset and the brass expands to keep gas blow back from crudding chambers, and brass.I shot a local match today (ESR) and everything worked well.

Ive been using straight clays for years in my revolver for 165 PF for USPSA. One of the guys at the club started using VV320 and I tried it in my 625. I thought at 165pf using 230 jacketed bullets, the vv 320 felt a little softer with less muzzle flip. As soon as all the stuff I have loaded in clays is gone I am going to try VV320 myself.

Tried a couple loads for my 646 over the weekend. 6.0 Ramshot Silhouette (WAP) behind 180 RN Berry bullet and 4.6 grains of WSF behind the same bullet. Both seem to be accurate loads without extreme recoil.

Jerry