Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What a difference a paper clip makes. . . .

By the time I got my 550b adjusted properly, learned to check the cases to avoid squibs and double charges (don't ask!), and found bullets and powder I liked, there remained one problem: spent primers would miss the cup about half the time, leaving cruddy old primers all over my workshop floor. Worse, about one spent primer in five would wind up on or near the primer assembly itself, regularly jamming things up. Dillon's help page suggested replacing the cotter pin that holds the spent primer chute together, but I remembered someone on this site recommending using a paper clip in place of the cotter pin instead.

I finally tried it, and what an amazing difference! I have had exactly ONE spent primer in the last 500 rounds miss the primer cup and hit the floor, and my loading is about twice as fast and far more rhythmic for not having to clear the spent primers out of the primer slide path all the time.

Hats off to this forum, once again. It's been a learning year for me, and since I don't know a soul who reloads, you guys and Brian have been my sole sources of guidance.