Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After years of the other colors, ordered my first Dillon blue. A S105

Hello everybody, I've been lurking on here and researching for a while now. Finally bit the bullet and ordered a 1050. I've been reloading for a while on RCBS and while the single stage presses are decent, their so-called Pro 2000 progressive is neither Pro, nor progressive. I've broken so many parts on the thing that I ended up giving it away to a friend after rebuilding it.

In any case, I think I'm experienced enough to handle the 1050, and ordered it from Brian. I'll be spending my next R&R in 20 days doing nothing but learning the machine and reloading .223 and making an incursion into 300 AAC Blk. I've already ordered the MBF but it's been on backorder for months.....

Could you go over my list and see if I messed anything up? I'll be processing .223 on one head, and loading on another. Same with the 300 AAC. I just placed the order so I assume Brian will tell me if I have any redundant pieces. I plan to get another 1050 for large primer stuff such as 308 and 45 acp next year.

Anyhow, on with the list.....I know some things I don't really "need" but I do want. (I would remove the prices, but this is Brian's forum, and everyone knows what the prices are...)

I can't wait to get home and set it all up.

1 16306 Low Powder Sensor(@ $ 41.95 ea.) $41.95

1 13606 Primer Flip Tray(@ $ 20.95 ea.) $20.95

1 21131 Super 1050 B in 223 Rem Carbide Dies/Bulle(@ $ 1,813.95 ea.) $1,813.95

1 17070 Aluminum Roller (Only) for 1050 Handle(@ $ 23.18 ea.) $23.18

1 13254 Dillon 223/5.56 Rem Stainless Case Gage(@ $ 26.95 ea.) $26.95

1 22215 Super 1050 B Bullet Tray(@ $ 41.95 ea.) $41.95

1 21044 Powder Check System - 650/1050 only(@ $ 68.95 ea.) $68.95

1 17999 Bullet Puller (New Style, Berrys)(@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 97018 Super 1050 Maintenance & Spare Parts Kit(@ $ 46.95 ea.) $46.95

4 20056 4-Pack - 2 Small & 2 Large Primer Pickup Tu(@ $ 23.95 ea.) $95.80

1 10330 Reloading Manual - Lyman #49(@ $ 24.95 ea.) $24.95

1 13239 Super 1050 Machine Cover(@ $ 39.95 ea.) $39.95

1 10668 One in. Bench Wrench w/Five 1 in. Lock Ring(@ $ 9.95 ea.) $9.95

1 62203 Super 1050 Toolholder w/Wrenches - Current (@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 19485 Super 1050 Press Instructional DVD(@ $ 19.95 ea.) $19.95

1 12580 Reloading Manual - Speer #14(@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 14355 Universal Mount Kit - Not Needed w/Strong M(@ $ 5.49 ea.) $5.49

3 62200 Super 1050 Toolhead Stand, Blue(@ $ 49.95 ea.) $149.85

1 62164 RT 1500 Trim Motor: Trim Die Not Included(@ $ 327.95 ea.) $327.95

1 62140 RT 1500 300 Blackout Trim Die - Carbide(@ $ 175.00 ea.) $175.00

1 62219 Super 1050 Short Toolhead(@ $ 224.95 ea.) $224.95

1 13141 RT 1200B Case Trimmer Replacement Blade(@ $ 19.95 ea.) $19.95

1 22127 Universal Decapping Die(@ $ 26.95 ea.) $26.95

1 19797 RT 1200B 223 Trim Die, Carbide(@ $ 175.00 ea.) $175.00

1 21393 Super 1050 Quick-Change Toolhead(@ $ 270.95 ea.) $270.95

1 97111 RF 100 Primer Filler - Small Primer(@ $ 317.95 ea.) $317.95

1 11143 Cover - Deluxe Quick-Change / RF 100(@ $ 14.95 ea.) $14.95

Edited by chrishoesel

Delete the 10668, as the 1050 includes die lock rings already, and the die wrench is included in the toolholder with wrenches.

The 20056 has two small and two large primer pickup tubes. For the calibers you list, you won't use the large primer pickup tubes. Additionally, the pickup tubes are not compatible with the RF100 primer filler.

If you plan to load 300 BLK, there are some caliber conversion parts you will need that differ from the 223 conversion.

Thanks for the input. Since the order is already placed, I can't make any changes, and I appreciate the info. I realize the pickup tubes won't work in the RF100, but they are there just in case. I plan on getting another 1050 in large primer format later on, and I don't mind having a few extra tubes.

The 300 AAC parts I need for conversion I assume you mean the dies, correct? I have a set of Redding dies and I did not see any available from Dillon. Are there some other caliber conversion parts I missed? I think the shellplate, SR case feeder plate, and rest of the machine can stay on the 5.56 settings, with slight adjustments. Maybe I'm wrong. Let me know what parts I'm missing, although the priority at the moment is 223 brass processing and loading, and 300 AAC brass processing only for now, until I get some rifles that can shoot it.

Chris.

Holy Moly,

what you´ve just ordered, is a looooooot of stuff, which I haven´t brought together after using Dillon for almost ten years now, buying stuff step-by-step.

But I have to admit, that every time I have bought something more, I was annoyed, that I haven´t bought it earlier.....

:blush:

Well,

I´m really very interested, how you come out with the Dillon!

I haven´t bought an RT until now, but am thinking about a couple of months.

Would you give a feedback, how it is going?

By the way:

If your press isn´t blue, it´s probably broken.

:ph34r:

Hey jayjay1, I know, it's a pretty big order, and have had different variations of it in my cart for a long time, almost 2 years. I've saved enough to get 1, but my original wishlist was for 3 x 1050's, and I have narrowed it down to eventually having 2. I'm just so tired of dealing with 223 case preparation, and decided to just go for it with this machine and setup. I'll be doing all of the small primer stuff on this one, and eventually when I return home for good will get a second one to do 308 and 45 acp large primer reloading.

I've got various single stage machines and turret machines for precision rifle, and using those primarily for 338 Lapua.

As soon as I have a chance, I will give some feedback. I know there is a learning stage with the 1050, and I intend to go slow with it. Maybe I'll also put up some videos.

I'm very excited you have no idea. This has been years in the making.

By the way, I see the reloading community is very big in Germany, are there any legal issues to contend with? It is very possible that work might take me there in the next few years, and it's good to see fellow shooters and reloaders in Europe.

Take care,

Chris

Please keep us up,to date on your experience when you receive the unit , set it up , and commence spending money...it would be educational for all.....Thanks.......

You will need the powder funnel for 300 blackout. Other than that the 223 conversion will be used.

I am also only counting 3 toolheads. One with the machine for loading 223, one for loading 300 blackout, one short for trimming 300 blackout, and you will want one more for processing 223.

Also, you will want a second 1500 trim motor unless you plan to set it up when switching between 223 and 300 blackout processing. I started out with just one motor, but it is much easier to have one dedicated for each caliber.

Edited by dddoo7

By the way, I see the reloading community is very big in Germany, are there any legal issues to contend with? It is very possible that work might take me there in the next few years, and it's good to see fellow shooters and reloaders in Europe.

Take care,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I wouldn´t say, that there is a big reloading community here.

I think only 5% or even less of the shooters and hunters over here are reloaders.

Well, I only know the law in Germany, which is very restrictive in some terms.

You can buy everything over here, without powder.

And without powder, you can´t reload.

Before you can get a powder permit you have to have a license to own weapons.

To get the (big bore) weapon license, you must be older than 25 as a shooter and 18 as a hunter, being a member in a shooting (min. one year) or hunting associaton, having passed a weapon safety and knowledge test and pass a background check.

Then you get the permit to buy your first (big bore) weapon.

After that, you have to pass a test for reloading and again pass another background check to get a reloader permit.

With this permit, you can buy and store 3kg at once at home, but not more than 3kg.

That´s why we have 0,5kg powder bottles over here.

Especially if you are loading several calibers, you know why.

Ammo, guns and powder have to be stored in safes of different categories.

The weapon and explosive authorities may proof the correct storage at any time, you never know.

The last school massacre in Germany (Winnenden) was done by a young guy, with the pistol of his father, which wasn´t stored correctly.

Believe me, you won´t like it here.

:blush:

dddoo7

Thanks for showing me that I didn't spend enough money. You're absolutely right. I forgot a toolhead and second RT1500 motor. Crap. Do you have the 300 AAC powder funnel part number? I don't know if I saw it on Brian's site.

The problem is that if I venture into the store, I will find my hand unconsciously clicking and will accidentally order another 1050 as well, because it's absolutely necessary, as everyone here knows. </sarcasm> It's a condition, you see...

jayjay1

I had heard that anything firearms related was restrictive, but did not know about the licensing required for reloading. That is quite a journey to go through. However, I see quite a few reloaders posting how-to's on youtube from Germany, so the passion is there to push through regardless of restrictions. It's good to see.

Thanks for the help, and I'll definitely give feedback once the goodies arrive.

Found it! Ordered it! Another month of Ramen.......

Got the second RT1500, another quick change toolhead and a die set for 300......plus some other stuff I didn't really need but had to have...such as the Dillon lube, however the lube didn't help to soothe the burning sensation :-)

Broke now. Thanks guys.....

Edited by chrishoesel

I think the 300 blackout funnel is part number 13015. If I remember right it is the AK funnel.

That is correct. On that topic, I usually recommend that Powder Funnel for the 300 BO, but, I've read where others said the 223 Powder Funnel works fine for the BO. Anyone have any feedback on that?

dddoo7

Thanks for showing me that I didn't spend enough money. You're absolutely right. I forgot a toolhead and second RT1500 motor. Crap. Do you have the 300 AAC powder funnel part number? I don't know if I saw it on Brian's site.

The problem is that if I venture into the store, I will find my hand unconsciously clicking and will accidentally order another 1050 as well, because it's absolutely necessary, as everyone here knows. </sarcasm> It's a condition, you see...

jayjay1

I had heard that anything firearms related was restrictive, but did not know about the licensing required for reloading. That is quite a journey to go through. However, I see quite a few reloaders posting how-to's on youtube from Germany, so the passion is there to push through regardless of restrictions. It's good to see.

Thanks for the help, and I'll definitely give feedback once the goodies arrive.

If you find you'd like to order anything else, I'll refund your credit card for the shipping charge in the order. Just remind me to do that by typing: "Free Shipping" :) - in the "Customer Message" field of the Checkout page.

Replacement indexing pawls. They wear out, are inexpensive and a pain in the butt when you find you need one and have to order it. Part number 13705.

Extra decapping pins

pretty sure the spare parts kit has decapping pins but I seem to never have enough on hand.

Not sure if the kit has pawls. Not a common item but if you load a lot you will need it at some point and you will need it at the worst possible time.

Otherwise welcome to the club and stay safe.

Thanks Brian, excellent service. I'll keep that in mind, but I *think I've got everything I need for the time being. Enough to get in trouble. As I assemble I will make note of wear and tear parts I might need in the future, and place an order at that time.

I appreciate the shipping offer.

Chris

Thanks Brian, excellent service. I'll keep that in mind, but I *think I've got everything I need for the time being. Enough to get in trouble. As I assemble I will make note of wear and tear parts I might need in the future, and place an order at that time.

I appreciate the shipping offer.

Chris

My pleasure! Thank you...

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I'll be doing a report of the presses (I got another one for Large Primers) as they are now setup and running beautifully. I had some issues at first with my 5.56 processing and loading but it's all good now. I can't believe I didn't get the 1050 sooner. I had a 3 week vacation, and spent most of it on these presses. By the end of my R&R, I now have:

Processed 5000 LakeCity 13 cases

Processed and formed 2000 300 AAC cases from Lake City Brass

Processed 2000 .45 ACP cases

Wet tumbled everything

Annealed everything on Giraud annealer (except the .45 ACP)

Loaded 3000 5.56 cartridges successfully

Loaded 1000 300 AAC cartridges successfully

Loaded 500 .45 ACP successfully

I am using MBF on both machines, and have all the caliber conversions except for .308 on the 1050, and 9mm on the 1050/MBF. I'll be getting those next year.

I am so happy with these machines, and as a relative newbie, I had some very minor issues at first mainly due to the decapping and swaging stages. (I wasn't swaging aggressively enough) I encourage anyone getting into progressive reloading to make the jump to the 1050. Especially the current models have all the fixes currently addressed, such as brass primer slide rollers, etc. They come setup in the caliber you choose, and you can be up and running in no time. I needed to process brass first, so I didn't use the loading head first and therefore had to make some manual adjustments. Definitely go for the multi-head setup though, it will be a time saver.

19181256540_ee19c0c3c9_z.jpgCanon EOS M-EF-M18-55mm f-3.5-5.6 IS STM-June 29, 2015-16 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

18746336844_461a3e66d4_z.jpgCanon EOS M-EF-M18-55mm f-3.5-5.6 IS STM-June 29, 2015-24 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

19362810122_093e9cdc97_z.jpgCanon EOS M-EF-M18-55mm f-3.5-5.6 IS STM-June 29, 2015-8 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

Edited by chrishoesel

Your set up looks Great!! Do the covers fit with the MBF

Thanks! Unfortunately, the covers don't quite fit with the MBF's attached. Normally I wouldn't use the covers but I returned to Afghanistan and they will be unused for at least a year. I've treated all the presses with the RCBS press cleaner and storage kit, so nothing should rust. But it's no big deal taking the MBF's off. Once setup, they can be easily removed and reinstalled in less than a minute.

Nice man, I recently got the rf100 first in small, then 3 days later in large primer, why didnt I buy thoose before? arg.

I know, right? They worked flawlessly out of the box, and I didn't need to make any adjustments save for the speed. Close-to lowest speed setting works perfectly for the CCI #41 primers (small) and a tad faster for the CCI LPP. Those things are a godsend. I know there are cheaper solutions, but I like the simplicity in operation. The way the primers move uphill and sort themselves out is mesmerizing. :-)