Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Pickup Tube Tip Change

SWHlctx

Probably the idiot question of the day, but I'm have a problem changing the tip on a small (yellow) primer tube.

The one on the tube now is worn out and I'm trying to change it, but can't get the old tip off.

Is there a trick to it or something? I don't want to destroy the tube fooling with it.

Hold the tube upright, colored tip pointed upward, against the edge of your bench. quickly slide the tube down, so that the edge of the plastic tip catches the edge of your bench and flips off.

And here is the hot tip. After having issues with the plastic tips, every few months, 4-5K rounds, on both my old 550 and SD, i put on a 650 tube with the brass tip that a buddy gave me because I was out of the plastic ones. 3 years and running, with no issues. Dillon does not recommend this.

Edited by 9x45

And here is the hot tip. After having issues with the plastic tips, every few months, 4-5K rounds, on both my old 550 and SD, i put on a 650 tube with the brass tip that a buddy gave me because I was out of the plastic ones. 3 years and running, with no issues. Dillon does not recommend this.

What is this brass tip you are referring to?

What is this brass tip you are referring to?

Its the small primer pickup tube that is standard on the 650 model. Drops into both the 550 and SD. Dillon says that the plastic tip is used because you might get 2 primers somehow in the transfer bar at once and could cause a problem. I don't see how but I can tell you both my presses have never had an issue with the tip since switching.