Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I modify my follower so it don't snag on TTI base pads

colbyjack

How do I modify the follower on the mp 9. The base pads are snagging or catching at about round 18-19 as it goes into the TTI base pads. If I slap them or bounce loader up and down sometimes it goes past other times it just feels jammed and I don't want to break it. Someone said in another thread to hold down on bullet as you slap it then insert next round... Is that still true? I'll try when I get home. Or is there a sanding or bevel or cutting I can do to the follower so it slides past easier.... Thanks

Head over here and ask them yourself-

Taran Tactical Subforum

They are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have found that you will need to force the rounds in (usually though around 16-17 IIRC) until you get a slight "burnishing" of the follower that makes it much easier to load later.

You could sand/cut to bevel the follower, but my experience with the Taran extensions is that shouldn't be necessary.

I just held the "last" round down with a LULA mag loader while bumping on the table. Then it takes just your palm then it takes nothing. They seem to be "Self Fitting" when provided the proper encouragement. This has been true with all eight magazines I have had experience with. The issue is covered in the vendor forum.

They work very well when tuned

Thanks bob that's what I was looking for. Does anyone make a +1 follower for the mp... Most base pads all say use stock follower. 23 is plenty but 24 would be nice and 23 reload able. :)

I just beveled the 4 legs of the follower with a piece of sandpaper lying on my bench (120 grit I think), then I took the sharp edge off the inside of the basepad with a small file. Don't know of any different followers, I'm happy with 23, the TF are 22 (I've got 5 of those). The extra round is handy, but if I'm that close, I just plan a reload somewhere because if I don't I'll surely have a makeup shot that will put me at slide lock halfway through the last target. :surprise: I haven't had a problem loading 23 round mags in mine.

Edited by Bkreutz

Beven from Gram's is looking at making a special follower for the M&P that would allow for 24. I have used a Gram's STI 9mm follower with the stock spring and TTI's basepad to get 24 rounds but it won't reliably lock the slide back and sometimes gets hung up on the slide stop.