Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does projectile weight affect slide cycle time at the same PF?

igolfat8

If I shoot a 145 grain projectile and then a 165, 180 and 200 grain projectile the heavier projectile feels like it makes the slide cycle slower than the lighter bullet. I have hand loaded all rounds to the exact same power factor but all loads have different average velocities measured on my chronograph. I am not sure how to measure this other than "seat of the pants" impression. Is there any evidence to prove this or have you observed this in your pistols or am I imagining things? It just feels like my G35 cycles the fastest with 145s. Please explain this if you can?

The lighter bullet leaves the barrel the fastest. The slide doesn't recoil until after the bullet has left the barrel. Also with the lighter bullet you are using more energy (powder) to stay at the same power factor. The more energy in the case the faster the slide will cycle.

Now depending on what class you are shooting and what level you are at, it will not matter. As long as it cycles smooth and returns to neutral the speed just doesn't really matter. Some shooters want a quick but usually violet action.

If I shoot a 145 grain projectile and then a 165, 180 and 200 grain projectile the heavier projectile feels like it makes the slide cycle slower than the lighter bullet. I have hand loaded all rounds to the exact same power factor but all loads have different average velocities measured on my chronograph. I am not sure how to measure this other than "seat of the pants" impression. Is there any evidence to prove this or have you observed this in your pistols or am I imagining things? It just feels like my G35 cycles the fastest with 145s. Please explain this if you can?

Marshal nailed it... I mean you have to realize that the heavier bullets get less powder... Less powder, smaller boom, smaller boom, less force... Less force, slower slide... Yeah? Yeah.

Now to Dive in a bit more on what he said... Everyone has a 'best' combination for their shooting style... And you have more freedom at the bottom... As you move up to the more competitive levels things get tight. You want a load that matches your shooting style, this means lots of bullet weight, powder charge, and guide rod spring adjustments... But eventually you'll have something that you are shooting fast and accurate while maintaining your personal comfort/sanity.

Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fastest times have consistently been with the lightest bullets. I really like the 145s but they are SWC and occasionally I have feeding issues so its likely I am going to move up to 165 RNFP for better reliability. One jam is is enough to knock me out of the winners circle so reliability is playing a more critical role in the games I shoot in.

I first heard of the "slow slide" phenomenon back in the late 70's when I was shooting for Blake Gann. You often hear a shooter say he was waiting on the slide when shooting heavy bullets and light powder charges. It is a perception thing, no one that I am aware of is faster than the slide. If you have ever experienced a full auto issue you will quickly realize that the slide is much faster than anyone human. It may seem that a slower slide is making you wait but it just seems that way, no one is really waiting. Once you get accustomed to the feel you can go just as fast as long as you are making PF. It's 90% mental anyway so if you like less recoil and snap go heavy, it just seems slower.