Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me with my draw and my turns

I agree with both sides of the argument (not that it matters). Let's lay it to rest. Do you need to have good consistent draws and reloads to be a GM... yes. Is it the biggest factor holding a shooter back from doing well at a match... heck no... unless you are an M/A class shooter that is deficient in that area. That being said you will need that skill later down the road to make the bump to GM so should you practice it... YES. Do it as a warm up for your dry fire every day, don't hang up on it until its perfect. Anywho, enough rambling, I think the argument is at its' conclusion.

Efficiency of movement is a big deal. This was something I worked on alot and I'm not just talking about in a stage. I naturally (because of my age) can move well, but there are plenty of people who move better.

As for the draw, break it down into parts, analyze your movement. For me on a surrender draw I start with my off hand in a consistent place every time (for me it's my thumb under the bill of my hat by my temple. Build a system of consistency, then it'll be subconscious.

For my draw hand it starts off on the gun. I feel the perfect grip (for me I index again with my thumb on the inside of my holster...consistency!)

Then I rotate my draw arm only at the elbow, why? Efficiency of movement. The less body parts I have to move during any movement = faster times and most importantly, consistency.

Try it and see what you think. You can apply it to any type of draw.

This would probably work for anyone on a "surrender" draw but not a "wrists above respective shoulders" draw depending on arm length torso length etc. If I just bend my elbow up it is about a foot below my shoulder.

At that kind of range, onto a full size target, you shouldn't even be looking at the sights. While you are looking at the target, simply be aware that the back of the slide is in the neighborhood of the A zone (black square somewhere kinda in the middle of the brown), and be pulling the trigger.

On the turn and draw, I usually start with my feet very close together, and pivot on my right heel, and the ball of my left foot, snapping my head to the first target. As I pick up my left foot to step forward I am drawing the gun. During a very good turn and draw the first shot should be breaking before you even have set down your foot from the step.

While what CHA-LEE is saying about a blazing fast draw not winning matches is true, it certainly is one of the foundational "classifier" type skills that Andersen talks about in his book quite a lot. Having a 1.2 draw to a 10 yard popper, or a .9 draw to a 7 yard open target kind of thing certainly does help with shooting good classifier scores.

I was working on the turning on the right heel all week, definitly like that better, thanks for that tip. I put that to use yesterday and it felt good and solid!!

I agree with both sides of the argument (not that it matters). Let's lay it to rest. Do you need to have good consistent draws and reloads to be a GM... yes. Is it the biggest factor holding a shooter back from doing well at a match... heck no... unless you are an M/A class shooter that is deficient in that area. That being said you will need that skill later down the road to make the bump to GM so should you practice it... YES. Do it as a warm up for your dry fire every day, don't hang up on it until its perfect. Anywho, enough rambling, I think the argument is at its' conclusion.

Efficiency of movement is a big deal. This was something I worked on alot and I'm not just talking about in a stage. I naturally (because of my age) can move well, but there are plenty of people who move better.

As for the draw, break it down into parts, analyze your movement. For me on a surrender draw I start with my off hand in a consistent place every time (for me it's my thumb under the bill of my hat by my temple. Build a system of consistency, then it'll be subconscious.

For my draw hand it starts off on the gun. I feel the perfect grip (for me I index again with my thumb on the inside of my holster...consistency!)

Then I rotate my draw arm only at the elbow, why? Efficiency of movement. The less body parts I have to move during any movement = faster times and most importantly, consistency.

Try it and see what you think. You can apply it to any type of draw.

Thanks for the tip on this. I started putting this into my practice routines and shooting, i have noticed a big improvment already, before i was just lining up and drawing and reling on muscle memory, which is ok with my service weapon i practice with all the time and fine when not doing one of the qual coruses that requires quick timed shots from a draw. It also didnt lead to a good consistent grip on the Glock (which is dramatically different grib then my sig 229, haha) from the draw. I started establishing a good grip on the holser then rolling my hand into position at the shoulder, it has been more consistent and led to better accuracy. Definitely helped in the qualifier yesterday (end of the video below) Watching the raw video in slow mo again looks like draw to first shot was about 1.3 and my head bobbed a bit, ended up with a time of 3.59 two A's on paper on 99-62. If you guys have time i would love to get some suggestions on my match yesterday, you all have helped a lot

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214933

Edited by evilbeef54

Just saw the official scores from Sat i won 2 of the courses of fire and took 2nd in 2, i was 10 match points behind first place, all the courses came down to less than .5 sec, and on of the courses i did win was the qualifier. So definitely thanks for all the help. I know i still have a lot of other areas to work on and would love any advice you guys can give on that video posted above. Overall, i know there is lots of work to be done but to come in that close behind a B class shooter all day on my 4th match i am feeling descent about it!!