Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help on Boomfab...

I recently bought a boomfab carrier and i am trying to get it to work .

It shoots really well but no matter what i use for buffer and spring combination it just is giving malfunctions after you shoot more then 50 rounds trough it.

As soon as it gets dirty it just stops and is giving half feeds (looks like not enough gas)

Even though i open the gas more up it is still not working.

I tried JP Low moss red buffer with spring and i also tried JP silent capture spring with white and black spring.

The way i see it the problem is in the coating ,it is just not ''slick'' enough and when you charge the bolt back it feels like a rasp ,when i put my JP in it feels very slick....

Anybody here had the same issues and knows what is working ?

I normally use pretty much oil

Edited by patrickbeijer

Is there any chance that some of the dirt you are seeing is in fact eroded anodizing? I've seen reports of the hard titanium causing wear inside the softer aluminum in the uppers. Seems like this is happening too fast for that, but worth checking regardless.

On my Boomfab, I run the action very wet with frog lube (both paste and liquid). How "wet" are you running your Boomfab?

Try it with even more lube and see what happens. What I have noted running mine: keep it wet with lube and it will keep working.

My Boomfab carrier has also "worn" the anodizing in the upper receiver. The bottom of the carrier is also peening over where the Geiselle hammer strikes it. According to Boomfab it is normal. Boomfab also says it is normal for steel carriers to wear the anodizing, and to peen over at the hammer strike point. I call BS on it being normal.

My upper receiver allready had the anodizing worn and i have been shooting the JP LMOS steel carrier in it since 2008 (its a CTR-02 rifle)

I have tried to run it extremely wet and still it does not run properly.

I can make it running but i would have to turn the gas about 2 rounds more open then i do with my JP steel one and i do not think that was the idea behind this product....

I allso have a Uronen alumnium carrier and i do not use it for the same reason but even that one gave less problems then the Boomfab...

I must be doing something wrong ...

check gas rings on the bolt?

I am not familiar with the JPSCS, so I cant comment on weights, spring rates. I'm running an empty carbine buffer and a Springco hot white spring in my rifle. midlength gas on a 16" barrel with SLR adjustable gas block.

I've noted when switching ammo from M193 to PMC bronze I had to adjust up the gas to compensate. Something similar may be happening for you too.

Remove the bolt from the bolt carrier and clean any carbon out of the area where the bolt rings ride. Look inside this area with a flashlight and see if its really smooth or rough. Let me know what you find.