Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag vs SOG Black 6 Gear Bag?

Stan-O

I never seem to be able to catch the Midway bag in stock and I found out that the SOG Black 6 Gear Bag is available at Walmart and it looks suspiciously similar.

Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-system

SOG: http://www.walmart.com/ip/SOG-Black-6-Gear-Bag/36256348

Has anyone physically compared the two?

Midway bag PROs:

1. My friend bought one a very long time ago and it held up well thru the years

2. I have a Midway rifle drag case and it's very well designed/made from a high quality nylon

3. Loving the charcoal color, doesn't attract attention and scream tactical like a black/tan/OD bags

Midway bag CONs:

1. Always out of stock when I'm ready to buy

2. No MOLLE straps line on the SOG

SOG bag PROs:

1. MOLLE all over

2. Removable internal bag has D-rings for the should strap attachment

3. It's available for the immediate pickup from one of the nearby stores

SOG bag CONs:

1. Unknown quality, couldn't find any reviews *for this particular bag*, the nylon used looks flimsier online than that of the Midway bag

2. Available in black only.

If anyone has the SOG bag please post your take on it.

PS. I realize what the origin of the Midway bag is, so let's not turn it into who ripped who thread. ;)

I have a Shooter's connection bag. It's too big.

If you're looking for something that doesn't scream "GUN!" when you're carrying stuff to and from the car, go with a Craftsman or DeWalt tool bag. At least that way, your neighbors will think you are on your way to work on somebody's house.

I think I am going to put eye bolts through each narrow end of a surplus ammo can. Then a shoulder strap will get attached to the eyebolts, so I can carry my ammo that way.

That will sort of mess with the "going to work" tool bag theory. Assuming the neighbors know what a surplus ammo can was initially designed for.

My thoughts exactly. Won't carry a range bag but will carry an ammo can? :)

There are dozens of different brands and styles of bags that will work, some will last longer than others. There are also dozens of small backpacks and the like that will work. Tool bags and boxes also work well.

IOW, there's no end of things that will work. So unless you want a purpose built range bag like the CED or Shooters Connection, you shouldn't sweat it.

That will sort of mess with the "going to work" tool bag theory. Assuming the neighbors know what a surplus ammo can was initially designed for.

My thoughts exactly. Won't carry a range bag but will carry an ammo can? :)

Put ammo can with shoulder strap inside tool bag to and from house. Once at range, pull ammo can out of tool bag.

Sorry no experience with the SOG bag, but I love my Midway bag. Its a great bag, very well built and lots of room and pockets. I wanted the Shooter's Connection one, but last year Midway had theirs on sale for $40 or $45 and it was too good of a deal to pass up. I have since seen them go on sale for the same amount at least a couple times. Last time they were on sale was in December tho. Now it seems they only have the compact and the ultra compact on sale.

I got the midway bag on sale as well and I've really enjoyed it. There were a lot of threads that were fraying so I took a lighter to the entire bag. Haven't had a problem with any seam coming unsewed after doing that.

I have the midway competition bags. Its is very comfortable to carry and has alot of storage but i dont think it is ridgid enough on the outside pockets. When you put a couple loaded mags in the mag slots it tends to kind of sink in and take space away from the main compartments. Had it for 2 years and still not even a tear. When i do replace it it will be with one of the medium DAA backpacks.

I've bee.n eyeing a medium DAA backpack. I'm getting sick of carrying a heavy range bag full of guns & ammo slung over one shoulder. Now that my left shoulder sits lower than my right I think I better get a backpack.

Right now I am using an M&P tan backpack that I had laying around the house for a range bag. It's actually working really well. I use CED pistol sleeves to hold my guns and CED mag pouches to hold my mags since they are both stored in one main compartment.

I'd love to actually demo a medium (or even a large) DAA range bag. They look well thought out and well built. Does anyone in this conversation own & use a DAA backpack that wouldn't mind providing their insight and recommendations.

Edited by cakedog02

I'd love to actually demo a medium (or even a large) DAA range bag. They look well thought out and well built. Does anyone in this conversation own & use a DAA backpack that wouldn't mind providing their insight and recommendations.

You might want to read the thread, on this forum, about the CED backpacks collapsing at the lower compartment and making it very difficult to operate the zipper.

I've bee.n eyeing a medium DAA backpack. I'm getting sick of carrying a heavy range bag full of guns & ammo slung over one shoulder. Now that my left shoulder sits lower than my right I think I better get a backpack.

If you're carrying that much stuff, you might want to switch to the baby joggers the 3 gunners use...the Lowe's garden cart...or those one carts that accordion down and can fit in a car's trunk.

I knew one guy who traveled rather lightly once at the matches. The gun and mags...on the belt. The only other thing he carried was one of Dillon's border shift ammo bags.

If you're carrying that much stuff, you might want to switch to the baby joggers the 3 gunners use...the Lowe's garden cart...or those one carts that accordion down and can fit in a car's trunk.

I knew one guy who traveled rather lightly once at the matches. The gun and mags...on the belt. The only other thing he carried was one of Dillon's border shift ammo bags.

^^^^^This.

My range cart is a re purposed jogger stroller from Craigslist.

IMG_2858.jpg

You might want to read the thread, on this forum, about the CED backpacks collapsing at the lower compartment and making it very difficult to operate the zipper.

I'll do that. Thanks.

I'll do that. Thanks.

I hhae had one since they first came out. I love it but if the medium was available when I got mine I probably would have gone with that instead. The large is good for major matches as you can fit everything you need for the match and then some. I use mine all the time and haven't had an issue with the bottom compartment collapsing