Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with a sense of urgency

naim

I have noticed many shooters get "lost" in the stage when the buzzer goes off. I wonder if this is lack of stage planning or is the sense of urgency greater than the focus on the task at hand. What is the consensus, Lack of planning or loosing focus?

I would say it could be either one individually or both...I know that's probably not the definitive answer/opinion you were looking for but either issue could easily cause that outcome. If I had to pick one I would say stage planning. I've ran through stages in my head 20 times trying to burn it in but was pretty far down the list and then got caught up in conversation close to my turn and then lost the plan when the timer went off because I wasn't visualizing the stage RIGHT before time to shoot. but I've also visualized right up until my name is called and then bobbled a reload or some other small mistake that attracted my focus and then lost my plan because of that too...

It seems like to me, that I catch myself moving through a stage sometimes, NOT moving with a sense of urgency and that hurts my performance. Sometimes I will realize I am auto piloting a stage, and not consciously exploding out of shooting positions and having the sights aligned as I enter the next. This can cost precious tenths or seconds, when you are not running at 110% from position to position.

The SHOOTING should be the only thing that happens after the buzzer without a sense of urgency. Everything else during a stage should be.

Total stage planning and in-depth visualization will elmininate this:

Is it the sense of urgency that is greater than the focus on the task at hand.

... from occurring.

As a new participant w three matches I can tell you. To me there's a lot mentally happening, counting rounds, noting all the targets, even thinking of the 180. This weekend I missed engaging three targets over two stages. One I just plain overlooked under stress. The other two I planned and when the plan fell apart I didn't get back to them. Not pretty but there's only one way to go from here.

In the first two matches I didn't miss engaging targets, but as I try to increase speed this happened. I have to go slower and let speed develop. There were a couple masters in my squad that were good to watch but I think pushed my speed too quickly.

Edited by f2benny

I cured my issue with "expectant eyes are watching" nervousness with a solid plan and visual rehearsal. It took practice to make it vivid but it helped so much. Anderson speaks about this stuff alot. Look into it.

I think it's a mistake to consciously control your speed at the match.

Slowing down won't fix the real problem, it'll just make a sloppy shooter slow AND sloppy.

Shoot what you see, and that's how fast you are on that match day.

If that is insufficient for your goals, then become faster in training.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it could be either one individually or both...I know that's probably not the definitive answer/opinion you were looking for but either issue could easily cause that outcome. If I had to pick one I would say stage planning. I've ran through stages in my head 20 times trying to burn it in but was pretty far down the list and then got caught up in conversation close to my turn and then lost the plan when the timer went off because I wasn't visualizing the stage RIGHT before time to shoot. but I've also visualized right up until my name is called and then bobbled a reload or some other small mistake that attracted my focus and then lost my plan because of that too...

Been there, bobbling a reload or going to war on a piece of steel, i dont handle either too well

I think it's a mistake to consciously control your speed at the match.

Slowing down won't fix the real problem, it'll just make a sloppy shooter slow AND sloppy.

Shoot what you see, and that's how fast you are on that match day.

If that is insufficient for your goals, then become faster in training.

And as my dear friend Rondy would have said - There you have it.