Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger cutting groove in mag release

WYgunner

I performed a quick search, but I didn't find anything on this matter. I have two Dawson mag releases and both have grooves that have been cut into them by the over-travel stop. On one of my guns, this has caused some very erratic shots when the trigger breaks. Has anyone else experienced this?

I believe so; I thought this was more of a preference. I guess if it has more room to travel after the break it could increase wear?

i was thinking the opposite in that there is not enough over travel and the set screw hits the mag catch more than needed

If the sides of the bow are dragging on the mag release you might consider cutting the top of it down (where it is inside the frame) as this would keep it from having any effect on the trigger. The middle of the mag release doesn't do a whole lot except connect the two ends.

Sandbagger - There is plenty of travel after the break, but I might need to adjust it more to prevent travel/inertia after the trigger pull.

Steve - As far as I can tell, there is no contact with the trigger bow that is resulting in an ill effect

Pitt - I think you are completely right about the amount of pressure. I am pretty sure I have been mashing the crap out of it. Dry-firing is definitely contributing to the wear as well. It is difficult for me to consider pressure and speed as two different variables in regards to trigger pull. I think I naturally want to smash the trigger when shooting fast, but I an completely see where you are coming from on this.

Sometimes the center of the overtravel screw doesn't contact the center of the mag release. This causes the tip of the over-travel screw to deflect along the rounded surface of the mag catch if you put much pressure on the trigger and creates rubbing that I think is what you are describing as a groove. This sometimes causes the trigger not to reset because the over-travel screw then sticks on the mag catch. It can also cause problems firing if you adjust it too long, as it won't fire until you put enough pressure for it to deflect and allow the trigger to go far enough to the rear. When I have a mag release that has this problem, I remove the over-travel screw and grind the end flat (it has a cupt point on it) and and also mill (a file will work) a small flat on the mag release where the screw contacts it (be careful if you do this, they are thin). This prevents the delection and allows you to accurately adjust the over-travel.

Strangely enough my problems were also on Dawson mag releases.

YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

Archived