Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson front sight loose

BrianF07

Just installed the Dawson FO front and blacked rear on my core. First off the sights are great and shot great. The sight alignment and picture are much better for me imo. There is one issue though, the gunsmith told me during the installation the sight just slide right in and need no force to install, it was too loose in his opinion. You can tough the sight and it wiggles side to side, which is definitely too loose in my opinion too.

I was wondering before I called Dawson on Monday, if there are any fixes other than Loctite, which I saw used another forum to solve the issue.

Thanks

First, get a new gunsmith. The fix for this is peening the edges of the sight which will force metal out the side making the sight base wider.

I had this very thing happen although mine sounded looser. Didn't know if my slide slot was out of whack or the sight was. Few whacks with a punch, some red locktite and it has been good for over 15K rounds.

Surprising as in the 2 Dawson's I installed, the fit was very tight. Would ask the "gunsmith" if he had filed or stoned the front sight in order to install it, as he may have over done it.

Either way, it can be salvaged per horseman's suggestions. Check out a retaining compound, which unlike regular loctite thread locker, is designed for parts that fit with significant gaps, like your front sight. No need for a smith for this kind of work.

He told me no filing or stoning was done. Just slipped right in with no struggles. Ill go back and see what we can do. Ill suggest the peening and loctite.

Edited by BrianF07

I agree to what Horseman said. Can you slide the sight out and look at the bottom of the sight to see if it has been " worked over "? If it has then make the so called gun smith replace it. If he did not then call Dawson up, their customer support has always been great. I have had to return several things before and never had any problems.