Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light mainspring, bullet impacting high

Ok I have notice this with 2 diferent guns. Swapped to lighter main springs on a 2011 open gun and a cz75 and noticed that the bullet impacted significantly higher after the spring swap. Recoil springs seem to have no change. Is there really that much difference in barrel unlocking time that it will throw the shot high (1.5-2-5 inches at 20 yards) or is this something in my head that I need to work through.

I find it hard to believe that changing mainspring weight would affect point of impact (POI) ... but I've been surprised before.

A softer main spring will let the slide move rearward sooner and faster. Does this relate to a higher POI?

My only thinking is that the barrel unlocking sooner resulted in the barrel tilting out of lock up slightly faster with the lighter mainspring.

I guess it's possible but I haven't heard it before. Seeing primer wipe on the fired brass?

Did the trigger pull weight change with the lighter hammer spring?

Edited by bountyhunter

Watch high speed photography. The bullet is gone before the barrel unlocks.

How light did you go on the mainspring? Excessively light springs can effect ignition. Primers are not an all or nothing proposition. On my tuned revolver, I went from 130pf to 135pf by increasing the mainspring weight. Have you shot over a chrono with the new spring? Less velocity means more barrel dwell time and a higher point of impact.

Edited by PatJones

Trigger pull weight changed on both guns. The 2011 went from a wolf 19 to a ismi 17. The cz went from a factory mainspring with 2 coils clipped to a CGW blue 13 lbs spring. I haven't shot over a chrono with the news spring setup, need to check that I guess.

Edited by DRichardson

Lock time is slower with lighter main springs

Meaning from time sear releases to the time the firing pin hit primer is slightly slower

That makes is necessary for you ( and I) to have to follow through with the shot more deligently

Its always been amazing to me how consistently we can do things, even when they're wrong

You will probably find it you watch closely with any gun you use in dry fire that the sights lift slightly after the trigger break and now with slower lock time on these pistols it is becoming evident on the target