Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another new guy with a 3 gun shotgun question...

Hi, I'm looking to get into 3-gun and I've got a Browning auto-5 my dad gave me years ago. I love the gun, shot many a bird with it over the years but my question is would it be good for 3 gunning? I assume I'd have to get an extension tube (if they make them for that model). Also, I'm not looking to beat the heck outta that gun, would it be better to just buy a new shotgun and keep the Browning for the birds and the memories? Thanks.

If you don't want your A5 to get boogered up, then I'd suggest you get a different shotgun for competitions. Dump barrels can be tough on your equipment at times. Additionally, you'll probably want to do some modifications to your A5 to make it ideal for 3-gun (loading port, match saver, etc) that may not be desirable for the "memories" part.

Keep the A5 in the safe. Memories etc.

New gun.

Lots of used or low buck options to get started under $500 or 600. If you aren't picky and shop around you can get a serviceable auto.....add a tube, and get started.

Edited by sfinney

Cool pic Pat! FWIW, when I started shooting 3 gun I used my dad's 1100 for a couple matches. It took a lot of love for me to get all the scuffs cleaned up so I could return it too him looking how it did when I first borrowed it. I don't think that blued finishes and wood stocks are made to take much of a beating.

Shot my first multigun match with a pristine 1100 with beautiful wood. Probably added 20 seconds to my stage time by slowly and carefully placing it in a dump barrel.

That match got me hooked but the safe queen immediately returned to her resting place.

Get guns specifically for the job. One with no fond memories or one that will bring tears to your eyes with every new nick or scratch.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks everyone, I figured that would be the end result. Leaving the Browning in the safe and looking to get a new scatter gun. I won't drag this one out by asking for recommendations, seems there's already a few threads addressing that question.

Again, thanks to all.

BTW, great pic P.E. Kelley

Edited by sheltonmark1

I'd leave the old A5 in the safe. My recommendation would be go look for a new or used stoeger M2000 or M3000 and put a mag tube and extended bolt on it. You can open up the port to, I haven't don't mine yet but it's next on my list.

The Browning A5 sounds like a shotgun you'll want to keep in good condition and pass down to your son one day. I'd look at used models in the $600 range that are geared towards 3 gun. From what I'm seeing the Mossberg gun Jerry Miculek endorses isn't too expensive.

The Browning A5 sounds like a shotgun you'll want to keep in good condition and pass down to your son one day. I'd look at used models in the $600 range that are geared towards 3 gun. From what I'm seeing the Mossberg gun Jerry Miculek endorses isn't too expensive.

Yeah its inexpensive. It also doesn't work.

Yeah its inexpensive. It also doesn't work.

A part of buying any gun is doing your homework which should include reading reviews on this site and others as well as watching video reviews on YouTube, etc. I've got a neighbor with a JM shotgun that runs just fine. He said he picked it up used for $600. To each his own I guess.

You can get them new for about $600 also. Biggest thing is taking care of them. I have a buddy with 3 stoegers with 20k rounds through them total and they never let him down. Just remember that 930JM Pro for $600 is not the same gun Jerrys shooting. His brother is a gunsmith and I guarantee he's not shooting a 930 off the shelf that you'd get. Not saying it's not a decent gun, but there has been a lot of complaints on it. I think my Stoeger has less recoil than my 930 I sold. My 930 wasn't the JM model, but it always ran flawlessly. But it was ported and I can't run that in tacops so I switched to stoeger

Your absolutely right cakedog02. But my homework always leads me to guns that have at least a 90% chance of working when I pull them out of the box. 50/50 odds aren't good enough for me, even if a $600 price tag sounds appealing.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Personally I own a couple Remington shotguns and really enjoy them. One of which is the versa max comp. I also own a cheap Mossberg 500 that's been put thru the ringer and it's never hicupped.

Thanks again for all the info. I've actually been researching and the two guns that seem to stand out in that price range (Under $600) are the ones mentioned here. The Steoger M3000 and the Mossberg JM 930. I went to our local gun shop/range this weekend and of course they didn't have any M3K's in stock, but did have the 930. Based on everything I've read and folks I've spoken to, the Steoger looks like it'll be the one I get, add an extension tube and go from there. I can get the M3K locally for under $500 so we'll start with that and see how she rolls.

Thanks again for all the info. I've actually been researching and the two guns that seem to stand out in that price range (Under $600) are the ones mentioned here. The Steoger M3000 and the Mossberg JM 930. I went to our local gun shop/range this weekend and of course they didn't have any M3K's in stock, but did have the 930. Based on everything I've read and folks I've spoken to, the Steoger looks like it'll be the one I get, add an extension tube and go from there. I can get the M3K locally for under $500 so we'll start with that and see how she rolls.

Good luck. Let us know how you like the Stoeger once you get it all setup. I've always wanted to try shooting an M3K, but I've never had the chance. Edited by cakedog02

I know they're offering a 3G ready M3000 too. But it just comes with a certificate for Nordic Components for a tube and maybe a few other things. But I'd recommend Nordic for your tube extension, had great luck with mine. Just be careful when you pull the factory spring out

I've ordered the M3000 from the local shop, got her for $499. Now I'm looking for add-ons. I keep hearing Nordic Components and MOA Precision. I'm looking to add the extension tube, larger safety, bolt release and probably a bolt handle... any other websites or recommendations??

And of course now that I've ordered my M3000, I find out Steorger is now selling a M3K version already modified for 3gun for about $100-$120 more, lol.

Thanks again!

Yeah it's the same price basically. And you can shop around and get deals. I like my Nordic extension. I bought a Nordic bolt handle right away too, it's easy to operate in a hurry. Knock on wood I haven't had to use it yet because my gun has ran flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome gun Pat! I bet it's almost as old as you are!

Tim

If you are going to load weakhand you can, but if you are loading deuces or quads some cutting of the receiver will

be needed.

p1602423612-4.jpg

Awesome gun Pat! I bet it's almost as old as you are!

Tim

If you are going to load weakhand you can, but if you are loading deuces or quads some cutting of the receiver will

be needed.

p1602423612-4.jpg

Funny you say that Tim! I am older than it is!