Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147gr X-Treme light recoil loads

Glen9010

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But beware that at this length you run a chance of accidentally activating the slide stop, locking the slide to the rear. Ask me how I know :angry2: . This is the reason that many people will ream the barrel and reshape the slide lock to accept long loaded ammo.

Reaming the barrel will have no impact on this problem. Reshaping the slide lock obviously will. But at the end of the day, your magazine is designed to accept ammo up to only 1.169, so you shouldn't be trying to push longer than that.

I don't know if my load qualifies as "light" but here is what I have used in my M&P Pro 5" ( stock recoil spring/ apex comp striker spring)

147 Xtreme

OAL 1.152

WSF 3.8gr

WSP Primer

128 pf

147 Xtreme

OAL 1.152

WSF 4.0 gr

WSP Primer

132 PF (however at a level 2 match it chrono'ed @ 139 PF)

All that is fine and dandy but just throwing this out there, 147 bayou over 2.8gr of n310 is the bees knees. Makes 127 power factor and cycles my g34 as well as my ria tac II just fine..it's my idpa load through my glock since flat point isn't a favorite of the 1911 design

Edited by tcazes

All that is fine and dandy but just throwing this out there, 147 bayou over 2.8gr of n310 is the bees knees. Makes 127 power factor and cycles my g34 as well as my ria tac II just fine..it's my idpa load through my glock since flat point isn't a favorite of the 1911 design

X-Treme Bullets has a 147gr round nose that will solve the feeding issue with your RIA. I'm in the same boat.

Donnie talked to me yesterday about him getting another set of moulds for a design that will solve the issue. Should have some more info by the end of the week! I like to support the locals and he's local sooooo lol I'd rather just run 135s till he gets the 147s (round nose most likely, possibly something different but still designed to feed in 1911s) up and going.

• 1 month later...

This is a very informative thread....THANKS......I've settled on 3.4 Grns. On Vih N320 with the Xtreme 147 HP....in an Edge....seems to be be best trade off of power/ perceived recoil....I really like the bullets.....

X-Treme Bullets has a 147gr round nose that will solve the feeding issue with your RIA. I'm in the same boat.

I beveled the bottom of my barrel and re polished. Now it feeds anything and everything so 147fp shoot reliably now

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just got my XDM 5.25 up and running to compete in USPSA production class. Started with some 125 gr and 147 gr. lead bullets a buddy had gotten from Missouri bullets. The gun instantly liked the 147 gr. better with the load I had started with....3.0 grains of Bullseye...Remington primer and OAL 1.135 and had a PF of 136. I backed the load off to 2.9 gr and had a PF of 132. That load shot a 5 shot group at 15 yds that measured 1.125 and 4 of the shots cut bullet holes that measured 0.625. I have since played with a couple a different powders....Clays and Powder Pistol and have had good results.....5 shot groups at or near 1.250 at 15 yrds. If I could hold the gun better I'm sure the groups would be smaller. I've got a couple more powders to experiment with....Titegroup and W231 to find that perfect load.....I think I've found the right bullet. My mailman (person) has removed me from their favorite address list because I keep ordering the bulk bullet package.

Edited by Batmo

OAL 1.350.

?

I'm sorry.... I got decimal point in the wrong spot. I 'll go back and edit the post. You are correct....OAL should read 1.135. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Edited by Batmo

But beware that at this length you run a chance of accidentally activating the slide stop, locking the slide to the rear. Ask me how I know :angry2: . This is the reason that many people will ream the barrel and reshape the slide lock to accept long loaded ammo.

Reaming the barrel will have no impact on this problem. Reshaping the slide lock obviously will. But at the end of the day, your magazine is designed to accept ammo up to only 1.169, so you shouldn't be trying to push longer than that.

So if I jump to 160gr, I need to keep the oal =/> 1.169, not because of barrel diameter, but because of mag acceptability?

Anyone have any bulging issue with seating 160gr that deep? Feed issues?

So if I jump to 160gr, I need to keep the oal =/> 1.169, not because of barrel diameter, but because of mag acceptability?

Anyone have any bulging issue with seating 160gr that deep? Feed issues?

That's about as long as anyone is going to load them. Wont be an issue.

I've found after going back and forth between many powders for 147g loads the best so far have been N320 and what seems to be it's brother from another mother, Ramshot Competition. I've shot endless rounds over the chrono with sorted brass and Hornady HAP and MGB TMJ 147g bullets. 3.2 to 3.5 grains of both of these powders produce almost identical velocities and felt recoil.Primers don't seem to matter much, 20fps at the extreme. OAL is 1.145" or less since we shoot it out of several CZ's.

3.5g of Bullseye works well also, not quite as smooth.