Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clay Dot vs Clays powder

AZ 2 Dogs

I understand that Alliant Clay Dot is supposed to be like Hodgdon Clays powder, but Alliant only shows reloading data for 12 ga. Has anyone used Clay Dot in handgun reloads?

Did you use Clays reloading data and what was results?

Yes, I found it to be an exact clone of Clays. Been using Clay Dot for about a year now and haven't changed from the 3.0gr of Clays I was using and still achieving the same PF.

Is the recoil impulse and cleanliness comparable as well?

Recoil impulse: Yes

Cleanliness: Nearly the same. I found Hodgdon's to be a wee bit cleaner at lower charge weights, but both are outstanding. Very minor difference.

I use Clay Dot in revolver with 38 short colts. Very clean.

For what I was doing load data was sketchy, so I started low and worked up with a chronograph checking for stickiness and pressure signs along the way.

Before the Clay Dot I had horse traded for a small quantity (6 ounces?) of Clays to try in the short colts. After using that up I got some Clay Dot (Clays was unobtainable) and actually liked it better than the Clays i had. Charge weights for me with the same OAL and bullet are very close, I get a few more FPS from the Clay Dot with the same charge weight. Also, seems to be slightly more forgiving when loading short colts with the heavier bullets, but this just may be due to variance in the lots I had.

Edited by Bamboo

• 2 weeks later...

It's supposed to be a direct copy. Hodgdon clays is actually an Australian made powder called AS30 and is a great shotgun/revo/pistol powder on the fast burning side. Similar to vv n310. I've not used clay dot but a friend who used both felt they were very close with clay dot perhaps a little slower burning and a tiny bit more fps out of his 5 inch auto.

Out of curiosity, since I use Clays, how does E3 compare to Clays and Clay Dot ??? I ask because a number of people have said all three are basically similar.

I get slightly better results from Clay Dot than e3, never used clays. Clay Dot meters better for me in my Lee Autodisks, much more consistent and it feels a little softer, but pretty close. Really, there's not a big night and day difference between the two, except for metering light loads, clay dot does way better for me there.

Steve, claydot is equal clays as stated above. I find claydot a 'tad' bit softer recoil. A fellow shooter who has been reloading for many years prefers claydot because of the so called pressure spikes with clays in 180gr. FMJ .40 loads, something to do with powder compression. Since I use 200gr Blue bullets I would not be affected. 3.7 gr. claydot/clays brings 168+PF. E3 is slightly harsher recoil and needs anywhere from a tenth to a half tenth LESS for the same FPS. As usual depends on bullet weight, barrel, etc. etc. When I switched to 40 major everyone swore by Vit N320, in my not so perfect opinion it is harsher recoil than either clay/claydot/E3.