Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle primer jams

New relaoder with a brand new Dillon 650. Everything has worked great so far except for primers.

I can seem to get through 20 or so rounds without primers hanging up in the magazine. Started with CCI 200's. Thought it might be the primers so I switched to Win LR. Same problem.

As you guys know better than me, taking the primer feeder off and on is a real PITA.

I love the product, but this has really been frustrating.

Any ideas?

Make sure magazine tube is clean, and the brass tip isn't deformed or has burrs, if it is replace it. When you put the magazine tube in the shroud only slightly snug it down. I recommend weighting down the top of the feed rod with a 200-230g bullet hot glued to the top. Lastly ensure the primer anvil assembly is torque down tight. I've done these and have 10's of thousands primer free problems.

temporary_zps17ee7492.jpg

Edited by Boxerglocker

Based on your advice, I'm wondering if I've tightened the cap on top of the shroud too tight and it's causing a bind at the bottom. I'll check that

That will do it... I also amended my post a little. there is no BLUE tip on the 650 but a brass one... check it anyways.

Well, made sure the cap was not tight, no signs that the tip on the primer mag was nicked or damaged (it's all brand new), but I'm still getting jams every ~20-30 rounds. Haven't tried a weight on top of the feed rod. Will do that tonight.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll call Dillon

Well, made sure the cap was not tight, no signs that the tip on the primer mag was nicked or damaged (it's all brand new), but I'm still getting jams every ~20-30 rounds. Haven't tried a weight on top of the feed rod. Will do that tonight.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll call Dillon

Aside from using the weight. I just had my 650 primer assembly stripped off the press last night. I was converting it from .223 processing to 9mm. Found there was a lot of dirt, the the primer slide channel and on the slide itself. I cleaned both really well with brake cleaner and reinstalled first spraying with dry silicone lube. Really noticed the slide movement had improved when actuating it with my finger.

Edited by Boxerglocker

A colt 45 case fits nicely over the top of the primer feed rod. I fill them with lead almost to the top then slip it on and tape it.

If you were to keep a slight downward pressure on that rod with your finger while cranking does it click through consistently on each stroke.

I absolutely hate that Dillon switched to these plastic crap rods

It's weird my new 650 rod was covered in flashing etc and would stick when dropping it into the empty magazine. A guy I know just bought a new 650. His rod looked the same but works just fine. Beats me.

On mine I got a 45 acp case an took a tip from a friend. Grabbed the heaviest bullet I had (an old coated lead 38 special 158gn swc). Stuck it on my anvil and started pounding it flat with my hammer. Once it was wide enough to fit neatly in the 45 case and flat enough to leave enough case to slide over the plastic top I shoved it on. It's worked nicely.

I guess the combination of backing off on the magazine cap and adding a 45 case to the feed rod has solved my primer jams. Loaded 100 and every primer loaded as designed.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by NatureBoy