Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 9mm 124gr Flat Nose Bullet

Pathfinder1

I accidently ordered 1000 Xtreme 124gr Flat Nose bullets instead of my usual round nose. That said, does anyone have any experience with loading these? I'm mainly looking for OAL. I've tried 1.09 which is doable so far, but I'm wondering if there is a more optimal length. Shooting out of Dan Wesson PM9. I notice the seating depth into the case is deeper and I'm wondering if I have to be that concerned with increased pressure. Using 700-x (not my favorite, doesn't meter well) but that's all that's been available lately. Seems to perform pretty well though.

I actually did the same thing about six months ago. I loaded mine to 1.12. Ran fine in a 9mm Trojan. They chronographed the same and same accuracy compared to the 124 rn. Went back to the RN on the next order though.

Compare the OAL of each bullet. If the flat nose is say, .05 in. shorter, then make the COAL length .05 in. shorter. This is a rough estimate. Berry has a chart in its new catalog. Their flat nose is .06 in shorter than their RN but they suggest a .10 in shorter cartridge. I don't know why. Then again, with a new bullet you should measure it to your gun chamber. Make it a long as possible but still pass the seating test. No binding, you can turn the round to be sure it does not touch the lands. Check out the forum for info on to get the best bullet length for your gun. With a change in case volume, you will have to work up a new powder load.

Maybe the Berry's bullet suggestion of making it .10 shorter is because the FP is a bit thicker towards the top of the bullet and hitting the lands earlier, compared to the RN, with more taper. Just guessing.

My 1.09 length (same as Snakeyes's is working OK), but yes I guess now that you mention it, I should probably seat the bullet to the particular barrel of my pistol, and maybe get better performance. Once I discover where it hits the lands, how far do I back it off?

Edited by Pathfinder1

Thanks Mark. Yeah, Trouble said (above) he loads at that same length too for his STI Trojan. 2 questions...are you shooting them from a 1911 (I'm using them in DW PM9), and how did you arrive at that length? Seems to be some consensus forming to OAL of 1.120.