Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 and 1911 recoil springs

BASE772

Just curious what weight and how many coils you cut off if needed.

I should be getting my 320 from Robert Burke soon. I've got a Gray Guns fat guide rod and 12# to 15# Wolff 1911 recoil springs. Been seeing the 13# spring mentioned a lot. Will be shooting 147 grain minor loads.

Just looking for a good place to start.

Thanks

I have tested with a Wolff 12lb and it ran just fine with minor 147gr loads. I am using an uncut 13lb now. A few have mentioned using an ISMI 14lb with a couple of coils cut but I haven't tried that myself.

I've run both the 13lb Wolff and the 14lb ISMI. The ISMI is superior. The pistol runs so smoothly with the ISMI compared to the Wolf. I haven't bothered cutting any coils off as the gun tracks and comes right back on target so quickly with the unaltered spring.

I've run both the 13lb Wolff and the 14lb ISMI. The ISMI is superior. The pistol runs so smoothly with the ISMI compared to the Wolf. I haven't bothered cutting any coils off as the gun tracks and comes right back on target so quickly with the unaltered spring.

I've always liked the ISMI springs better. I've got a 12.5# and 14# ISMI on hand now to try. I ran 14# ISMI in both my 2011 Limited guns so may try the 12.5 first for 9mm minor.

The Wolff springs seem to have a slightly larger ID than the ISMI. The ISMI have very little to no play with the Gray Guns Fat guide rod.

Edited by BASE772

No. But still waiting on the 320 base pads from them. Ordered them 4-1-15. :(

And. After a range session today I like the 12.5 ISMI spring the best with my minor loads. Had to cut almost two coils off it for the slide to make it all the way back. Didn't have to cut any on the 14# ISMI 1911 spring.

I also decided I like the large grip over he medium grip.

• 10 months later...

Any long term durability reports from people running that 12.5 lb spring?

With my 135 grain reloads running 130k power factor i absolutely LOVED the 12.5 lb spring but man does it feel light...

No. But still waiting on the 320 base pads from them. Ordered them 4-1-15. :(

And. After a range session today I like the 12.5 ISMI spring the best with my minor loads. Had to cut almost two coils off it for the slide to make it all the way back. Didn't have to cut any on the 14# ISMI 1911 spring.

I also decided I like the large grip over he medium grip.

IMO the springer base pads are a horrible design, specifically the retention part. It is just a miniscule set screw that you thread out and you have to modify the magazine tubes to make them work. Plus they don't come with longer springs which allows the followers to get cockeyed and not function properly. After one match I returned them and purchased Taylor Freelance +5 ones that come with springs and have been extremely pleased.

Any long term durability reports from people running that 12.5 lb spring?

With my 135 grain reloads running 130k power factor i absolutely LOVED the 12.5 lb spring but man does it feel light...

With a Wolff 13lb I had issues at around 4k rounds. Best to swap them out regularly. Bruce said every 2k is a good idea. I had a Wolff 12lb in a backup gun. It ran fine but the there wasn't much force there to close the chamber. I think it's a touch too light. Right now Iran running a 14lb ISMI and it seems to be good.

Yeah, when i first installed the 12.5 lb spring it brought back memories of failure to return to battery issues i had with an M&P years ago.

So far, in 70 rounds of live fire, it worked just fine but that is hardly a concrete test. I have no problem replacing springs often if they allow the gun to perform as i desire. However, if they're unreliable, out they go.

Ill probably have to try a wolf 13 pounder at some point as the 14 lb spring felt OK but not quite as awesome as that 12.5 lb spring. I really wish ISMI would make a 13 lb 1911 spring as i much prefer their construction/design to the wolf units.