Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy conversions on the 1050 ?

Assume the conversion from 45 ACP to 308 Win on a Dillon Super 1050 using dedicated toolheads is considered an easy routine conversion.

Yes ?

No ?

How about the conversion from a 45 ACP to 44 Magnum with dedicated toolheads ?

Yes ?

No ?

Or would you rather have a dedicated 1050 for the 45 ACP and a dedicated 650 for the 44 ?

.45 to .308 doesn't require a shell plate change, so that should be fairly easy and quick..... maybe 15-20 minutes tops if you take your time.

.45 to .44 would also require a shell plate change, so that would be a little more time consuming... maybe a 25-30 minute job.

My s1050 is used for my high volume pistol caliber (9mm), and will eventually see double duty processing .223 to .300 Blackout.

I'm not sure how many rounds of .44 mag you shoot, but I'd think an s1050 might be overkill if you are not reloading thousands of rounds at a time.

The s1050 will really shine if you need to handle brass that has a military crimp. The downside of the s1050 is the cost of the caliber conversion if done with a dedicated tool head often approach $500 per caliber.

~g

I can do a clean conversion pulling all the dies of the toolhead from processing .223 to loading 9mm in about 30 minutes, cleaning and lubing as I go. Setting up the other way takes me a little longer but wit the use of locking die rings and a few other tricks not an issue... I set mine up to process enough .223 brass for the year, takes me about of month casually working on it. Then I convert to 9mm for the rest of the year and load my .223 / .308 on a XL650.

Archived