Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Firearms

rhart123

See https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Fex Ex is similar, though I haven't used them. The UPS hub is only a few minutes away, and so is the least resistance path.

It MAY be less expensive to use a FFL, depending. FFLs have access to less expensive shipping so the total of a transfer and shipping MAY be less expensive than 2nd day air.

For me personally it was 35$ for a 2 night during the week from fedex. Go to a main hub NOT a regular shipping place. They will charge over 100$

Edit to add: package the firearm first. Don't just bring the gun case bare. Fill out the slip w 2 day air, signature required. Tell the person you are declaring a firearm and shipping it back to the manufacturer for work. Shouldn't be any issues. Also doesn't hurt to call haead and ask to speak w a manager and explain what you are doing and when you will be stopping by.

Edited by Open1215

For me personally it was 35$ for a 2 night during the week from fedex. Go to a main hub NOT a regular shipping place. They will charge over 100$

Edit to add: package the firearm first. Don't just bring the gun case bare. Fill out the slip w 2 day air, signature required. Tell the person you are declaring a firearm and shipping it back to the manufacturer for work. Shouldn't be any issues. Also doesn't hurt to call haead and ask to speak w a manager and explain what you are doing and when you will be stopping by.

It should be overnight if the shipper is an individual and it's a pistol...

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=11&srch_phr=drop+box

I thought shipping a handgun it had to go overnight?

You are correct if it is an individual shipping to an dealer, gunsmith, or manufacturer.

I've had much better luck with UPS than FedEx but that's just my experiences.

Also, look at shipmygun.com, it's by Buds Gun Shop and looks to be a good way to help with the process but I've never used it.

I've heard of people not having to use overnight for FedEx or UPS. Sometimes it's because they don't declare the shipments as firearms.

But the UPS and FedEx offices here require overnight shipping on guns when you are an individual without an FFL.