Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Bullet Weight in your 308 semi auto

co-exprs

As the title says... I am interested in finding out the most common bullet weights used in 308 competition rifles. It can be HM 3gun, or CMT or whatever competition type you enjoy with your semi auto 308. And feel free to explain.

So far, I, like my friend Wynn, have used 135 Sierra's. Speer 125 TNT's have potential, I haven't had much time to shoot them at 300 yards, so far. Sierra 125 Match Kings are used by one very serious shooter that I know.

Right now, I'm not sure what bullet will be going down my barrel at He Man. :roflol:

I've always used something around 150g. It use to be 147g surplus several years ago when it was available. I just picked up some 155g HPBT Freedom Munitions to use at a few matches this year.

My AR10 really likes Freedom Munitions' 155 Amax load. I like that I don't have a large impact difference when using 147 ball while zeroed for the 155 load.

Hurley

I run Hornady 150 fmj-bt cause you can always find'em, they're around $20-23 per 100, at 2500fps the trajectory is the about the same as 556 heavies (69-77) and they work great from 5yds out to 500yds.

110 gr VMAX if no power factor and shots are largely inside of 300. 155 Hornadys for matches with pf and more shooting past 300.

That Sierra 135 is a great 3 gun bullet.