Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Departure

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, anybody who went to the cup this year want to comment on how anything changed?

Chris

Merchandise prizes were way down. I believe the highest value in the prize bag was Safariland 014 holsters. They were also handed out during check in so the competitor social event was under attended.

Many of the plaques were sponsored by the NRA. And the awards were quite a bit shorter due to no sponsor awards.

High skirt was 8th place.

And W9s are required for all awards, not just those that are above the cut off. And the W9s are being processed through NRA HQ, so no checks or gun award certificates on site at all.

The pistol program manager is taking blame for this, but IMO I think we should still be writing the higher ups. This match needs better communication, and a strong match director with a good staff backing him up.

I think it says a lot that there wasn't even a representative of MidwayUSA at the awards ceremony. Losing Tom was a big mistake. There were several discrepancies with scores that I heard of. The match itself didn't seem like it ran any less smoothly (thanks to the range staff for all their hard work), but the social events were a little lackluster in my opinion.

There was a huge scoring screw up for the Production falling plate stage. The actual stage winner was Gary Ashcavai. There were multipe shooter tied at 470. Multiple competitors missed a plate at 25 yards. Gary missed a plate at 10. The tie break rules state that the competitor with the highest X count at the furthest distance is the winner. Dave and Enoch were called for a tie break shoot off. No other competitors were notified of the shootoff. The actual results should have been Gary, Dave, Enoch. BJ Norris and another competitor brought this to the attention of the NRA staff at the conclusion of the banquet. They stated that the statisticians would need to be contacted and it could take months to resolve. I happened to be sitting with Dave when BJ came over to discuss the situation. We all sat there and verified the tie break rules. Dave agreed with BJ and contacted Gary to send him the plaque. Let's hope NRA makes this right.

Seiichi

So, anybody who went to the cup this year want to comment on how anything changed?

Chris

Merchandise prizes were way down. I believe the highest value in the prize bag was Safariland 014 holsters. They were also handed out during check in so the competitor social event was under attended.

Many of the plaques were sponsored by the NRA. And the awards were quite a bit shorter due to no sponsor awards.

High skirt was 8th place.

And W9s are required for all awards, not just those that are above the cut off. And the W9s are being processed through NRA HQ, so no checks or gun award certificates on site at all.

The pistol program manager is taking blame for this, but IMO I think we should still be writing the higher ups. This match needs better communication, and a strong match director with a good staff backing him up.

There were a few Nitride certs in the prize bags, a few 014 holsters, blade tech certs/holsters. No Aimpoints as in previous years.

There were certs for $2500 ear plugs given out by random drawing at the award banquet. (Sport Ear or ESP?, I couldn't hear.. ;) )

CZ and S&W were not sponsors this year. Very unfortunate that no one even called CZ after the years of support they provided.

Thank you to these sponsors who did generously donate to this match.

MidwayUSA

Safariland

Blade-Tech

Sig-Sauer

FNH-USA

Colt

Action Target

H&M Blacknitride

Sierra Bullets

Competition Electronics

Zero Bullet Co

AT WALL Magazines

Montana gold

Trijicon

UM Tactical

What-Ya-Say

Hogue

Protocall Design - Thanks Warren!

Ammo Alley

Shooting USA TV

Ramada Columbia

TI Outdoor

ESS Eye Wear

XS Sights

Dillon Precision

Secure Firearms Products

There were a few Nitride certs in the prize bags, a few 014 holsters, blade tech certs/holsters. No Aimpoints as in previous years.

There were certs for $2500 ear plugs given out by random drawing at the award banquet. (Sport Ear or ESP?, I couldn't hear.. ;) )

CZ and S&W were not sponsors this year. Very unfortunate that no one even called CZ after the years of support they provided.

Thank you to these sponsors who did generously donate to this match.

MidwayUSA

Safariland

Blade-Tech

Sig-Sauer

FNH-USA

Colt

Action Target

H&M Blacknitride

Sierra Bullets

Competition Electronics

Zero Bullet Co

AT WALL Magazines

Montana gold

Trijicon

UM Tactical

What-Ya-Say

Hogue

Protocall Design - Thanks Warren!

Ammo Alley

Shooting USA TV

Ramada Columbia

TI Outdoor

ESS Eye Wear

XS Sights

Dillon Precision

Secure Firearms Products

There were 3 Metalform 9mm mags in my bag. Not sure if they came from Midway or directly from Metalform, but there should be a "Thank You" on that list to Metalform, IMHO.

Alan~^~

Got a Blade tech holster and a metalform mag.

some other small stuff.

I was still happy with the cup this year, even after 16 years of participation. In those times I have seen it down to its lowest numbers and up to its highest.

We do get 3 good meals during the week and other stuff.

I really like the Bianchi cup week. I hope it stays on track like the past few years.

Seems the NRA's primary focus is sending 60 letters a year (to each member) asking for donations. No time to focus on something as inconsequential as an actual shooting competition. Only reason I'm a Life Member is they're the only game in town with the political clout to actually have an impact on the Hill.

The political side of the NRA, and the NRA proper are two completely separate organizations.

Due to the way that laws are structured the non-profit corporations that hosts competition, training, and supports other shooting related issues (like ranges and training) are financially separate from the political side like the NRA-ILA, and NRA-PVF.

• 2 weeks later...

Protocall Design donated 2 Stickshifts and some other stuff. I was able to verify that the shooters got them, for which I was thankful. In years past, before Tom was there, they quietly vanished and no shooters saw them.

I was lucky enough to win an FNS 40 at the awards night. Won a gun last year as well. Very nice thank you FN USA. Obviously I have more luck than skill but a wins a win. Yippee.

The chance of winning a gun on awards night is a major attraction to all the competitors I am sure.

I also got a FNS 40 certificate, also won some cash (not much).

I wonder how long it will take me to receive the certificate and check. You didn't have to send a W9 to HQ for every check or gun last year.