Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AeroPress coffee brewing method - especially for camping or hotel room

If you like good coffee and don't know of the AeroPress... Google it.

When I'm not at home making bomb-ass shots with the Expobar Brewtus IV and Baratza's Forte grinder - the AeroPress is my go-to.

Most of the AeroPress's brewing recipes specify the water's temperature and the dose weight in grams. If you are camping or in a hotel room, you probably didn't drag along those items. So with this recipe you can do eveything visually.

Medium-fine grind setting. (Bartzza Forte: 4 H)
Insert plunger into body to #4.
Invert assembly.
Add coffee to #3 setting on the inverted body (approx. 17 g.)
Water temp - 40 seconds off full boil (200 - 205 degrees).
Add water to #1 on inverted body.
Steep for 30 seconds - stirring for the first 10 seconds.
Install filter / cap.
Invert and and press for 20 seconds - all the way to the bottom.
Add some hot water to taste if necessary.

I like it! I ordered it! I love good coffee. Can't stand those lousy, hotel dumba$$ electric coffee pots. 1 crummy bag of crap decaff and regular coffee. I'll grind my own beans and bring a Ziploc baggy with me. Thanks for the idea. :cheers:

One thing I NEVER do is use paper filters. I may not subscribe to the above "science experiment" method, but I love good coffee and filtering it with chemical-soaked, full-of-bleach-and-other-poisons paper filters is bad news. Paper filters also leach out all the essential oils in your coffee--the very essence of where the full range of flavor comes from. I suggest using a metal filter. I do.

Edited by SiG Lady

One thing I NEVER do is use paper filters. I may not subscribe to the above "science experiment" method, but I love good coffee and filtering it with chemical-soaked, full-of-bleach-and-other-poisons paper filters is bad news. Paper filters also leach out all the essential oils in your coffee--the very essence of where the full range of flavor comes from. I suggest using a metal filter. I do.

The aftermarket metal filter ("S Filter") is en route to me. But it's interesting that none of the winners at the AeroPress world championships use the metal filters. With a paper filter, the move is to put it in the cap, then pour a good bit of hot water over it before you install it.

This is my machine since 1992. No paper filters here!

attachicon.gifCoffeePress.jpg

Gotta look into one of those portables though.

That was my machine forever, too, before the AP. Not only does the AP make a way better cup of coffee than a french press, it is sooo much easier to clean up. With my recipe, you will actully get some crema at the very end (if your beans are high-quality).

One of the AP's beauty's... By varing the grind, amount of coffee and steep time - you can brew just a good straight up cup of coffee to a double shot that has more complex-like espresso flavors.

You're rocking some pretty sweet equipment! (Expobar Brewtus IV and Baratza's Forte grinder) I've been pulling shots from my Gaggia Classic with PID and Baraza Vario for about a year now and love my daily lattes. At work I like just doing pour over with the freshest ground coffee I can plan for. I do agree about paper filters, you can lesson the taste if you use the natural unbleached (brown) ones and run some how water through it first and discard the water. I may have to try out of of those aeropresses, I have only heard great things! Any reason I couldn't use it at work with a drinking fountain, microwave and just a simple trash can for cleaning?

You're rocking some pretty sweet equipment! (Expobar Brewtus IV and Baratza's Forte grinder) I've been pulling shots from my Gaggia Classic with PID and Baraza Vario for about a year now and love my daily lattes. At work I like just doing pour over with the freshest ground coffee I can plan for. I do agree about paper filters, you can lesson the taste if you use the natural unbleached (brown) ones and run some how water through it first and discard the water. I may have to try out of of those aeropresses, I have only heard great things! Any reason I couldn't use it at work with a drinking fountain, microwave and just a simple trash can for cleaning?

That would all work.

The Forte is my fourth grinder, and more than likely will be my last. Upgraded to it from the Vario. The shot quality and consistency that I now get with the Forte (compared to the Vario) is truly unbelievealbe. I knew having a quality grinder was a huge factor, but until I got the Forte I never knew how much difference a grinder could make. The ristretto shots are 95% crema. I think it's time for one. :)

I am always amazed at the information in this forum. My problem is what kind of coffee to buy. I've drunk cop coffee and ER coffee for so long, i just skip it at home. This sounds interesting.

Jadeslade, there is SOOOOO much truly good coffee out there, I can't recommend it highly enough that you try some decent blends in a decent coffeemaker. "Office" coffee (and similar places) is just not right, unless you live in Eugene, Oregon, where most employers actually brew gourmet coffee pretty much exclusively. It's perhaps a way of (1) securing employee retention, or (2) to keep employees wired enough all day to significantly increase so-called productivity.

I buy David Schoomer's Dolce blend:

https://www.espressovivace.com/catalog/order.php

If I was putting milk in it though, I'd get his Vita blend.

His beans are amazingly consistent, order after order, year after year.

I've gone through many bags of the vita. My sister lives down the street from his cafe/roaster and she send brings me a bag every time she visits. Had one funky bag once, sent an email mentioning it and they sent me out a fresh bag!

I have an old Melita filter and a thermos mug that I use for my one or two cups of morning joe. I do use some half-decent coffee these days as opposed to the floor sweepings I used to drink. But I've tried some of the really good coffee and it's just not my thing. I fear that 20 years of Army coffee and 20 more years of office coffee have pretty much permanently destroyed my taste buds.