Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16. Fluted or non fluted.

jeremy kemlo

If you're asking the internet, then you're probably the kind of person that is gonna regret not going fluted, even if just for the reason that you think it looks cool.

FWIW, all my barrels are fluted.

No, it doesn't make a difference at this level/style of shooting.

No, I wouldn't go back to non-fluted if I could do it over again.

Yes, I am a very special snowflake.

Prs shooters aren't going to spend the money to flute a barrel b/c most run through 1-4 barrels per year. doesn't make sense, just run a smaller contour to save weight

in the Ar world you don't have as many options on your barrel contour so fluting can make sense, plus ar barrels are a lot cheaper and usually guys run them a lot longer than a bolt action barrel

How often do most guys run a barrel? 10k rounds? more?

on the stretch you are talking about 3oz, up to you on if its worth it

The reason I initially purchased a stretch was to drop weight, so of course I went fluted.

Ive shot groups back to back burning hot vs cold. The fluting makes no discernible difference compared to my non fluted 18" barrels.

I prefer to drop weight by taking material out of the bore, in the broaching process. That's the main reason I shoot 308... Because the barrels are lighter.

Edited by co-exprs

I prefer to drop weight by taking material out of the bore, in the broaching process. That's the main readon I shoot 308... Because the barrels are lighter.

How did you know that I needed a good laugh just now? Perfect. :cheers:

To the matter at hand, I am leaning toward a fluted Stretch 16 for my own planned Open/Unlimited rifle build. No consideration to cooling or any of that jazz, just a pure weight reduction play.

I want something significantly lighter, if I can design it. My current 18" rifle isn't "heavy" by most standards.

I've shot groups back to back burning hot vs cold. The fluting makes no discernible difference compared to my non fluted 18" barrels.

So are you saying that you've tested two relatively similar barrels--with the exception of one being fluted, and the other non-fluted--and you didn't see any appreciable difference in the cooling capability of the fluted barrel? I've always been curious if this has been proven in testing or if it's just another "fact" of the shooting world.

To my mind, the weight savings of fluting is hardly worth the cost, but if it provides a real benefit in cooling capability, it's worth it.