Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening

Flatland Shooter

Thunder storms never really bothered me. Bad weather is just one of those things to be tolerated.

About 5 AM Monday a severe thunder storm moved through the area. A lightening strike near the house,gave us with a bright flash of light and one heck of a boom and set off all the smoke detectors.

A quick walk through the house did not show any damage so I went back to bed.

A few hours later, a better survey of damage indicated two flooded bedrooms due to a blowout of the copper water line under the house slab, fried wiring on the east side of the house and no phone, cable or internet.

I guess surge protectors do work. The only personal electronics fried was the cordless phone / answering machine and the one computer router not plugged into a surge protector.

Thanks to several helpful contractors all essentials are up and running. Everything else can wait.

I've always wondered what would happen if you were showering and lightening struck the water system. Hope I never find out from experience.

Growing up my mother would not allow any of us kids in the bathroom during a thunder storm. Always thought it was an old wive's tale. Maybe she was smarter than I thought.

I've always wondered what would happen if you were showering and lightening struck the water system. Hope I never find out from experience.

Growing up my mother would not allow any of us kids in the bathroom during a thunder storm. Always thought it was an old wive's tale. Maybe she was smarter than I thought.

that's what i always heard but i did take one during a micro burst when i lived in San Angelo.

got out of shower dried > off heard noise > open front door > soaked > dry again.

Sorry to here about your lightning incident. Hope things get fixed up quickly. I too am very familiar with the power of Mother Nature.

My house got hit by lightning twice. First time while it was partially built. Framing and windows complete but no plumbing or electrical.

The lightninghit a copper valley in the roof and traveled into the ceiling joist hangers and tac welded the nails to the to the steel hangers. Then exited out the the side wall knocking the sofit down. No fire just some scorch marks on the wood.

The second time was three years later. We where home when the thunder storm hit. There was a blinding flash that enveloped the whole house with a deafening roaring boom at the same instant. All the power went out immediately. This time our lightning protection system saved the day we have 12 lightning rods on the roof all of which are bonded together with 1/2" copper cable that are also bonded to the electrical and plumbing. There they connect to eight 3/4 inch x 12 foot long copper grounding rods. There are surge breakers on both 200 amp service panels and on the telephone and cable lines. The auto surge breakers did their job and nod reset after ten seconds. We live on top of one of the highest ridges in the county and I took a look at all the 80 plus year old farm houses an barns in the area and noticed they all had lightening rods. Prompted me to spec them on our house build.

I remember my father getting lightning rods install on the home place (circa 1962) after a neighbor lost a barn to a lightning strike. The barn on our family farm was built prior to 1892 and had some very ornate lightning rods on the roof. It never once had damage.

Bill

I had a tree in my front yard, that 100 years ago, someone had used it as a fence post and nailed barbed wire to it. Lightning hit the tree, ran down the outside of it, till it got to the lower strand of barbed wire (I didn't know about the barbed wire, the last strand was buried in the dirt, and the rest had long rusted away). It ran down thr tree to the wire, blew the dirt from around the wire, then arced from the wire to my company van (the tire of all places), blowing the tire out, and frying every single piece of electronics in the van. The radio, engine computer, windshield wipers, starter, battery, every electrical component of the van, was fried. $8500 in damage. They totaled the van, as it would have cost more to fix it than what it was worth.

Lightning is not only "damn' dangerous," it's also sneaky.

Very sneaky. It never strikes twice in the same place. :ph34r: ...Unlike my Mother-in-law, who does! :angry:

Youngeyes, I've learned that it pretty much strikes where it wants and as many times as it wants.

You've never driven on I80 through Nebraska in the b middle of a nighttime storm, I imagine. There is a hill that has a communications tower on top that takes a beating.

Every darn time I drive through there to visit family in Colorado.

Without fail.

In a past life as an antenna installer, I sae what it can do and none of it happened with any consistency. When you're talking about that much energy, just about any path puts up minimal resistance.

No matter how you spell it.

The English language must drive foreigners nuts.

It drives Americans nuts to....too......two......and it's there....they're......their native language . :blink:

Flatland Shooter...I would advice...advise you to check you're....your spelling. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived