Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to chrono.

Open1215

Hello all. I'm sorta at a loss here. I live in a small town in central Florida. There is 4 ranges in town that I know on. An indoor that won't let you shoot hand loads or use a chrono. A great out door one that I'm friends w the RO is now being completely rebuilt for the next 3-5 months. A out door range that is cheap, safe and public however after shooting there and using a chrono last week, I'm now told that I can't use a chrono because if I shoot it it will cause a ricochet "Unsafe target". The last range is a club, "open to public" but I haven't gotten in the last 2 times I've tried. I'm really aggravated at the moment. I just got my new gun back and I've shot it once. That's it. I'm still in load development and I really don't want to wait 3-5 months to shoot after a 4 month wait on the build.

ANYONE in Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando or central fl have any ideas? I want to go to the universal shooting academy but it's a 1 hour 1 way drive so I'm looking for other options if possible. Thank you all in advance.

Also, no I don't know anyone with a large amount of land to just go shoot on. :-(

Edited by Open1215

Well after looking both are 90 to100 miles away. The shooting academy is only about 50 but there is no easy way to get there so it's an hour drive. I corrected OP after mapquest from my new address.

Ok good deal. I want to get in with a club and do plan on shooting matches at universal. I'm just a bit aggravated at the moment with chrono checking. I still need a few more mags and holster/ pouches b4 I start to compete

I just remembered Brooksville (north of Tampa) - that Might be

a little closer for you ...

They don't have USPSA matches any longer, but the last I heard,

they are open to the public for a small fee.

There are also a number of ranges near Tampa - possible they

could be little closer than Frostproof. :cheers:

Thank you. I know Tampa and Orlando all have ranges I really don't want to have to call each one and ask if I can shoot hand loads and chrono. It may just come down to that. Or just make a longer drive for a few months while my local one re-opens.

The WAC over in clear water might be your best bet. The hold quite a few matches and the best part. The have a clubhouse complete with beer for afterwards!

What is the full name? I will look them up for sure!

Affirmative on the WAC (Wyoming Antelope Club). Tuesday's and Friday nights at 630 are USPSA matches. I've never seen anyone chrono there, but I'm sure an RO would help you out after a match. I shoot there every Tuesday night and it's a great group of guys.

You may also try Manatee gun range. It's in Manatee, they have ranges out to 1000 yards and the staff is real friendly. I've seen people shoot clays on the pistol range and multiple targets, so I imagine they would have no issues with a chrono.

Edited by Elcidaviator

Sweet! I didn't know they had that! I will look up that app. At the moment Google hasn't been too helpful. I have been able to rule out a few places from the Web sight rules. I'm also going to message my ro friend and see if he will let me chronograph on the rifle range one day. Just sneak my pistol out there lol