Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1" wrench?

I was searching for an affordable replacement for the stamped steel 1" wrench that is supplied with the loader....I found it to be really soft metal and is damaging the lock nut....anyone found a reasonable alternative that works??

A side note....during my search I found an interesting article on the actual measurement correlation on adjusting the seating die. Apparently turning the face of the die one face turn will,raise or lower the die .016......... Any experience...this would save a challenged guy like me from multiple attempts at finding the perfect C.O.L............thanks in advance....

I use an ordinary all sixteenths, all metric left handed adjustable spanner wrench. For a few of the dies, I take the locating pins out of the press/tool head and turn the tool head around and slide it back in the press to hold it while I loosen the lock ring, adjust the die and re-tighten the lock ring. On my 650 the tools head will only slide back into the press about halfway when turned around but that is more than enough to hold the tool head when adjusting.

Easy peasy.

I finally broke down and got a dedicated ratchet and deep well socket. Works on all but the powder die on my 650. For that I just use the POS Dillon wrench. I whack it with a hammer every now and then to close it back up

Standard wrenches are very reasonable at Home Depot. They will do a fine job of securing die nuts. I use a Lee sizing die in the

first stage on every pistol caliber I load, a few times I have used a deep well socket and ratchet because Lee's sizer needs to be

secured from the bottom of the tool head.

Bought a standard set on sale. 1/4 to 3/4 for use adjusting dies. These are long handled open end box end wrenches.

At one time Auto Zone offered a set for ten bucks. Made in China these are not top end tools but are nicely polished and

will work fine with reloading dies.

Lock rings don't need to be heavily torqued down. If you damage the wrench, you are overtightening the lock rings.

not so sure. My dies worked loose occasionally using that strategy. Now they pretty much stay in place with the socket setup. My Dillon wrench needed pinched together right out of the box and it spreads open with amazing ease. The nuts are soft metal as well and round off way too easy

I was really interested in the Uniquetek wrench...looks perfect....small enough to fit on the die perfectly....I've got tons of 1" wrenches....the price put me off a bit........looks like I'll have to pull the trigger.......thanks!!!!!!

I finally broke down and got a dedicated ratchet and deep well socket. Works on all but the powder die on my 650. For that I just use the POS Dillon wrench. I whack it with a hammer every now and then to close it back up

this is what I did ... have never had an issue since i got it ...

A side note....during my search I found an interesting article on the actual measurement correlation on adjusting the seating die. Apparently turning the face of the die one face turn will,raise or lower the die .016......... Any experience...this would save a challenged guy like me from multiple attempts at finding the perfect C.O.L............thanks in advance....

Standard Reloading Dies are 14 TPI (threads per inch)

Or 0.0714285 per one complete turn

Or 0.0119047 per 1/6 th turn (Rounded to 0.012 thousand)

I never found a use for the Dillon wrench. After several cyber trips to eBay I have all the Craftsman wrenches needed to run a 1050. Last one was 1 3/8" for the trimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

Lock rings don't need to be heavily torqued down. If you damage the wrench, you are overtightening the lock rings.

After deforming the wrench, I called it good. Then the dies loosened up on me within 2,000 rounds. Im thinking the wrench you are using isn't the one we are using. Rumor has it you guys double up your wrenches.

I haven't found this to be the case. My sizing die would loosen up about every 5000 rounds or so. I use a lock ring on the top AND bottom of the dies whenever possible and tighten them with a better wrench. I also bought one the wrenches Uniquetek now sells on eBay before Uniquetek started selling them. This wrench was cheaper buying directly from the guy that makes them. He makes all kinds of wrenches including one for RCBS lock rings.

Same here, the Dillon supplied wrench is too hard to deal with, it messes up the lock rings and if you don't tighten them enough, they work there way loose. If we could get a wrench as good as the allen wrenches we would be great. I would have paid an extra 5.00 to have a good 1" wrench with the set. Harbor freight is your friend here. You can get a socket set and ratchet cheap. You should never break it, you are not working on the ft end of a car.

Do you guys prefer a box wrench or a deep socket for the lockrings?

Deep well socket . I got a 3/8 drive deep well 6 point. I put the nuts on the bottom of the dies so I have more room to manuever. I only use the wrench on the powder die since it stays on top.

Blue loctite keeps them tight too.