Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nova/SuperNova loading technique question

igofast

Looking for some guidance. I started shooting Heavy Metal this year and am running a SuperNova with an 11 round tube.

I've run into an issue now twice where I need to load from a hammer down condition and having difficulty as the gun 'unlocks' just enough for the bolt to interfere with the carrier and won't allow shells to be loaded. I'm attempting to dual or quad load from the strong hand with the stock pinned by my head.

Scenario 1: Shoot 9 poppers on the left side - reload(per stage requirements) - shoot 9 poppers on the right side

Scenario 2: Shotgun staged hammer down on an empty chamber loaded to division capacity need to run to gun and engage 10 targets(none overlap enough to get a 2 fer)

For #1 after clearing the left side and fumbling for a bit trying to keep the action closed I ended up cycling the gun(empty), loading, and then cycling again to get a live round in. Obviously not ideal. I've practiced trying to drop one in the chamber and load the other 3 but that is not working for me.

For #2 my plan was to load 2 as I approach the gun, which I was eventually able to do, but lost a few seconds as I thought I had the pump all the way forward but either I didn't or it crept on me.

I've read up on the Arvid grind - which I have no problem doing - but it sounds as though others have run into feeding issues. The gun has been reliable so far so I would prefer not to introduce unnecessary reliability concerns especially if there is a software solution.

Contact Trapr from Redneck Tactical. He posted some pictures of one of his Novas a while back that shows the shell carrier and a slight amount of material removed so it can be loaded slightly out of battery.

For me, scenario 1 would be to keep the bolt open on the last shot, drop one in, close bolt and load two sets of four weakhand.

Scenario 2 would be to have two shells in my weakhand when I picked up the gun and to slip them in before I ran the gun dry.

Hurley

Contact Trapr from Redneck Tactical. He posted some pictures of one of his Novas a while back that shows the shell carrier and a slight amount of material removed so it can be loaded slightly out of battery.

For me, scenario 1 would be to keep the bolt open on the last shot, drop one in, close bolt and load two sets of four weakhand.

Scenario 2 would be to have two shells in my weakhand when I picked up the gun and to slip them in before I ran the gun dry.

Hurley

I did this mod to mine. I didn't feel it added anything and it made the gun more finicky on ammo brand. Lemme clarify though. The mod is beneficial if you and loading weak hand from caddies. I load 2, strong side. Edited by co-exprs

I wouldn't do any grinding to the lifter, it can make a 100% reliable gun into a door prop if not done exactly right. I load 2 weak hand by turning the gun over, so for 1 I would run it dry, drop one in the chamber, load 8 and have at it. For 2 I would load 2 extra, pull the trigger on the way up and then pump and blitz ;)

Keith

in both instances I probably would have used the KISS principle...

#1 - shoot the 9 poppers, reload, then pull the trigger on an empty chamber and racked it, and do the other 9.

#2 - I would have just racked it, loaded 1 or 2, and then shoot em.

jj

Edited #2

Edited by RiggerJJ

Thanks all. Sounds like there's consensus that I need to rack-n-load with possibly dropping one in the chamber.

For those of you dropping one in the chamber, how do you not screw with the rest of your loads? I'm running Taccom double deuces that I like to pull 4 from(but can pull 2) - do you just pull 2 and drop a shell or do you have a separate caddy for those instances or something else?

Again - I've tried practicing pulling 4 and putting 1 round in the chamber, but it ends up being a cluster in the end as I can't keep the other 3 shells in alignment for loading into the tube. Maybe I just need more practice.

I honestly, don't often candy cane shells on my belt. I will do that with the 9 in my gun at start, but after that I usually have a section on my belt for bird and another section for slugs. If there are targets which require heavier bird shot, I just shoot the entire stage with the heavier shot. It's far better for me keep things simple and finish a stage clean.