Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with an ar build

jeremy kemlo

I have 2.5 guns worth of stuff and trying to figure out what I could put together to make a good 3gun ar.

I have a complete upper-flat top, with a stag 16' m4 barrel, carbine length gas, carbine length houge hand guard (too short), mikulek comp and a reg bolt.

The other upper is a dpms flat top with a 16'' light barrel, carbine lenght gas, glacier handguard, and regular bolt.

I have two lowers that both have cheap lpks installed.

I also have a 15'' sampson evolution handguard( I like this one), extra miculek comp, a cmmg lpk. warren mount, peper mount and a millet 1-4

So what would be the best combo of parts? We shoot out to 350 yards. Should I use one of these barrels or get a 16'' mid gas, or 18'' rifle gas barrel? Is there a cheap solution to get a better trigger without paying too much. How much better is a light weight bolt-if so which one is good for the price? I would love to get a stretch 16 barrel or a nordic 18 but i dont want to spend the money if I dont have to. At the same time I want something that will work well.I am willing to sell parts and buy different parts but could use some help.

If it were me, I would sell the barrels and other various parts you have there, keep the flat top upper, the Samson Evolution, and one of the JM brakes; and use the money acquired to get the barrel of your choice. You would be in the ballpark and you'll be much happier with one of the two barrels versus those carbine barrels.

The Warne mount and the Millet will be great as a starter.

Not that they won't do the job, but in the near future you would be looking to upgrade. Ask me how I know. :goof:

Edited by Bullittmcqueen

The Nordic 18" is $269 from the web site. That's cheaper than the Stretch 16 by a good margin.

[side note for biases: I have a 16" Nordic from 3 years ago that is a sweet shooter, so I'm a bit of a fan. However, I may be building a new 16" upper using the Stretch 16 once it comes back in stock]]

I've seen some great builds and watched good shooters with the Nordic 18" barrel.

Once recent build is here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204061

I encourage you to read the whole thread as well as enjoy the final and modified build photos embedded.

From my understanding, you can even save a little money on the total build with a Nordic since it is a soft shooter with a fixed gas block. Saves you a few bucks on an adjustable block.

The Nordic 18" is $269 from the web site. That's cheaper than the Stretch 16 by a good margin.

[side note for biases: I have a 16" Nordic from 3 years ago that is a sweet shooter, so I'm a bit of a fan. However, I may be building a new 16" upper using the Stretch 16 once it comes back in stock]]

I've seen some great builds and watched good shooters with the Nordic 18" barrel.

Once recent build is here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204061

I encourage you to read the whole thread as well as enjoy the final and modified build photos embedded.

From my understanding, you can even save a little money on the total build with a Nordic since it is a soft shooter with a fixed gas block. Saves you a few bucks on an adjustable block.

Just looked at the Stretch 16, price is not bad considering it includes the gas block and tube.

Just looked at the Stretch 16, price is not bad considering it includes the gas block and tube.

Agreed, in principle. It's a reasonable package deal. However, recent comments here (BE forum) in other threads have pointed to only moderate satisfaction with the provided gas block, so I'm not sure how to assign value to it. Even with that, I'm personally considering buying such a barrel. I'm strongly leaning that way because I'm fed up with the weight distribution of my current configuration. I may opt for a Stretch 16 purchase with only the gas tube accessory.

OP- You can easily get started with what you have on hand. Use the lightweight barrel upper and put the Samson handguard (may need a lo-pro gas block) on it with one of the Miculek comps. Add your scope and mount(probably the Warne) and go zero it and start shooting.

Sell some of the other stuff to fund a nice trigger first.

Keep shooting that until you think its truly holding you back.

Edited by wgj3

A set of yellow JP trigger springs can greatly improve some mil spec triggers. They won't help with the length or grittiness, but the lightened pull weight makes it feel a lot better for about $15.

If your grip screw hole is threaded all the way through you can use a set screw to remove pretravel. If not get one of these. That coupled with the JP yellow springs and the hammer tail cut off to look like As JP speed hammer works pretty well with a GI trigger and is a big improvement over stock. Another option is send it off and let bill Springfield work it over. Is it as good as a 200-250 dollar trigger no but it's a lot cheaper

A set of yellow JP trigger springs can greatly improve some mil spec triggers. They won't help with the length or grittiness, but the lightened pull weight makes it feel a lot better for about $15.

I agree!! I did this with my S&W M&P15 Sport (of all things). Fortunately, unlike the M&P pistols, that rifle trigger was smooth but heavy. Fairly crisp break, too. So, in my case using JP springs was an easy & cheap trigger upgrade.

Is there a cheaper barrel than the Stretch 16 or Nordic 18 that would do the job as well?

Nope. You can spend more for close to the same performance, but when you drop off in price, the performance goes away.

Thanks I will give that a try.

Edited by jeremy kemlo

Thanks I will give that a try.

Actually, I think the Wolff spring kit is better for stock triggers: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/521191/wolff-trigger-improvement-spring-pack-ar-15-reduced-power

Weight and velocity are the main differences. Newer shooters will do better with a little more velocity and weight on the longer targets. Better shooters will shoot the shorter lighter barrel faster on close stuff.

Weight and velocity are the main differences. Newer shooters will do better with a little more velocity and weight on the longer targets. Better shooters will shoot the shorter lighter barrel faster on close stuff.

Also heed the advice of Patrick Kelley -- "pick one and practice".

My guess from the middle of the pack is that most folks won't be able to tell enough of a difference to spend a lot of time agonizing over the choice.

It seems that moving is big part of 3-gun, thus if you have a light barrel and a good comp you'll be able to get on target quicker. The trade off is the longer shots...I don't know the accuracy or twist of your barrels.

What I'd concentrate (in terms of time and money) on is practice, trigger, and shifting optics (iron, red dot, 3xscope, ~14x scope) from near-far targets.

But what do I know?